What's new

Question about Peckinpah movie... (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The Absolute Sound has a very interesting review on the new soundtrack (Varese Saraband) of Sam Peckinpah's

The Ballad of Cable Hogue.

In the review, it states this was a big-Hollywood sabotaged release of the follow-up film which is a small scale character piece about a down-on-his-luck prospector betrayed by his partner and left to die in the desert.

Apparently there is no DVD and a fairly poor VHS.

I am very intrigued, however.

Has anybody seen this film?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I saw it years ago. It's a pretty good film as I remember, with a fine performance by Jason Robards. I'd love to see a DVD.

For that matter, we also need DVD releases of Ride the High Country, [a decent release of] Cross of Iron (the current DVD is friggin' horrible), Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (might be released next year I hear), and a non-flipper edition of The Wild Bunch.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Yes I've seen it a few times. It's an excellent film well worth seeking out. Warner owns it.

No DVD of this. I'm not sure if there was a laserdisc release or not.

The only way to see it OAR would be checking TCM.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
This is a pretty good film built around Peckinpah's favorite theme of "civilization" moving in and overriding the "old west". The film ends with about the most explicit metaphor for this one could possibly imagine.

Regards,

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I caught this on the Western channel a few months ago and thought it was quite good. Definitely more laidback and comical than what Peckinpah's usually known for. It was also nice to see an amusing supporting role for David Warner for once ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks