Question about PE 250W Plate Amp

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Troy R, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

Does the Parts Express 250W plate amp have an adjustable high pass filter or is it fixed at a certain frequency?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Troy

2. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

The hi-pass is not adjustable. I believe it is fixed somewhere around 120Hz or so. Not real sure on the actual Hz that it is fixed at because I run my mains full.

The only adjustments are Low-pass, Gain, and phase. You can adjust the rumble filter but it involves soldering.

Ronnie

3. Anthony_I

Anthony_I Stunt Coordinator

Im buying a Rythmik Audio 380W plate amp... same as the PE ones except this guy has custom modified my amp.
    I can bypass my phase adjustment circut if need be, and also bypass my XO if the need arises. and its XO is variable from60Hz - 120Hz (much like the PE amp) not to mention that it has an adjustable/defeatable rumble filter that requires no damn soldering.
    and has more power.
    380W @4 Ohms/245W @ 8Ohms.

Ive also had him add a 12V power tap so i can power the LED in my speaker from the amp.

Im tellin ya this "Brian Ding" guy is great... he has gone out of his way to modify my amp for me, and put up with a bunch of my annoying questions about htis and that.

4. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info guys!

It looks like Rythmik amps also have a fixed high pass filter, but it doesn't say what the frequency is either...

Does anyone offer a plate amp with adjustable high pass filter?

Thanks,
    Troy

5. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

6. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Dan! Those look like some NICE plate amps, but I was looking for something more along the lines of CHEAP! [​IMG] I'm probably asking for the impossible...

I'll have to keep those in mind when I have a larger DIY sub budget. I'm just trying my hand at my first DIY sub...

Thanks again!
    Troy

7. Anthony_I

I can almost bet that if you buy a Rythmik amp that brian might be able to fix it up so that you can adjust the high pass, or at the very least tell you what its frequency is.

Im tellin you this dude is great man.

i may ask him to add a knob to adjust the high pass.
    But the thing is the highpass is for the outputs (either RCA out when you use RCA in, or linout when you use line in) and they dont really suggest actually hooking any sats. up to those outputs.

8. Anthony_I

The high pass XO for the Rythmik Amp is 100Hz, and would be very difficult to make adjustable...according to brian.

9. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info Anthony!

I'll probably stick with the PE amp just because I want to keep my budget very small!

Thanks!

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Tony,

You need to be very careful with the combo of that amp and your driver. I think it will be quite easy to damage your driver with that much power, regardless of what the "specs" say. At the full rated power you will exceed Xmax below 40Hz.

11. Anthony_I

what do you mean brian??? he didnt even mention what driver he is using [​IMG]

And as for keeping th ecost low, I realize that the Rythmik amps are more expensive than the PE ones but the Rythmik amps have defeatable rumble filters, and more power output, not to mention the GREAT support this guy offers.
    And i bet the Rythmik sounds every bit as good as the PE amps.

To each his own. This is just my opinion, i like features, and i like to be in control, this offers me more control than the PE amps and more features.... and with the added mods that this guy did for me i have tons of features (maybe useless but WTF) and control.

He added a 12V power tap so that i can power the LED in my driver without having to use a seperate power source for it.

(Phoenix Gold Octane R12D... check it out... but it is for car audio and the people here dont agree with what i have done with it [​IMG])

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

The added features will be worthless if you fry your driver, which will be pretty easy to do.

13. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

Brain, were you talking to me or to Anthony about the plate amp being too powerful?

I'm in the process of buying an old SVS PC driver...

14. Anthony_I

Brian, im not sure who you were talking to either, but im not going to be using the features to overdrive my sub.
    Im not going to risk blowing a driver that i spent a fair sum of money on. [​IMG]

I just wanted the features i got added for more control and such.

15. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Troy,

I was talking to Anthony. That's why I started by post by saying "Tony,".[​IMG]

16. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Anthony,

I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that it would be very easy to overdrive the sub. That's all. Even if you'd bought a Shiva you could have done that with this amp if you weren't careful.

17. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

Brian, that's what I figured but a LOT of people have mistakenly called me Tony before. especially through email and internet. So I figured I better ask...

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

That's OK. Many people mistakenly call me "Brain" sometimes! You might want to check a few posts up![​IMG]

19. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

Brian (or BRAIN),

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Aamzanig huh?

[​IMG]

20. Anthony_I

OMG on another board that im a member of (a private board) this has been banned because it has been posted sp many times.

Now it is simply used as a running joke ROFL.

And brian, how easy? and are there some limits or general advice about NOT overdriving it to the point of too much.
    for some reason i didnt notice that "Tony" part. or didnt pay attention to it or something lol.
    Are you saying it will exceed xmax in a vented box or sealed box? or just plain exceed below that point.
    Also what volume levels are we talking about here?

The complete list of changes made to my amp are as follows:
    "Power ON" LED light added (Mainly for when it is in "Auto On/Off" mode)

12V power tap to power the drivers LED

Phase circutry control bypass switch (i can bypass the phase adjustment control, or use it)

XO Bypass switch (This will allow me to bypass the XO, and recieve ALL of the frequencies being sent to the sub, for HT purposes involing only LFE or other such things)