What's new

question about passing 5.1 through the TV (1 Viewer)

Axxion V

Auditioning
Real Name
Billy
ok i actually have 2 questions here:

1. My surround sound receiver has only 1 optical and 1 coax input. so i run all my devices (DVD, ps3, HD DVR) to my TV via HDMI and i have an optical cable running from the digital output of my TV to the surround receiver. by doing it this way my receiver outputs Pro Logic II. i can only get 5.1 if i plug directly from the device to the receiver. should i be getting 5.1 the way i have it hooked up? if i need to change a setting would it be in the device or TV? by the way it's a 47" 120hz Vizio and a yamaha HTR-5920 receiver.

2. I have another TV that has a digital coax output but theres only analog (red & white) inputs. is there some kind of conversion built in the TV or is the digital output useless.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
No..........
The digital optical output on tvs, is used only with the built-in tuner, to get 5.1 surround from your local channels in HD, while using an antenna. The few tvs that passes a signal from other stuff, through the tv, will downmix the signal to 2.0 to the receiver. That's why you only get Pro Logic. To get real 5.1 surround, you need to plug the coax and optical cables into the receiver first. You can use something like this to add more optical devices:
Parts Express:Digital Optical Selector Switch

JIRAH HOME ENT

Auditioning
Real Name
Jevon
Quick suggestion, because you have HDMI devices and a 120hz TV, I would consider upgrading your recevier. Most new good receivers (yamaha, denon, onkyo, hk etc) have video processors which meet HDMI 1.3 standards and can enhance your video signal to . In addition, PS3 (bluray players) and Turbo HD service (not sure what HD service you have) provide new and improved audio formats via HDMI 1.3.

Jirah Home Entertainment - Home

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks