Question about Paradigm Studio 100 v.2 feet

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce N, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

I just got a pair of used Studio 100s and I'm not sure how the gold feet are installed. They came with four feet and four threaded spikes. I don't want to spike them so do I install the threaded spikes with the point in and then screw the gold feet onto the threaded rod?

Any pointers (HA!) would be appreciated!

Bruce

2. TylerN

TylerN Stunt Coordinator

i'd also like to know the answer to this...

3. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Bruce,
    Interesting question.
    I just purchased a pair of these myself but I have them spiked due to a carpeted base. I would agree with your idea. Just screw the pointed end of the threaded rod into the hole deep enough so the flat end of the rod does not stick out beyond the feet.
    My concern would be is there enough depth in the hole to install the threaded spike with the point in and not penetrating the speaker casing? Would that harm anything if it did?
    If that rod goes all the way into the threaded hole, then I would probably put the pointed end in first, leaving the flat end recessed on the feet. Better support perhaps?
    You can always e-mail Paradigm tech support if you are inclined to do so. Gary is very good about getting back in a timely fashion.
    [email protected]

4. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Bruce,

I emailed Gary at Paradigm with your question. I'll provide his answer when he returns my mail.

Charles

5. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

Thanks Charles!

I think you're right, I threaded the spike into the foot until it was slightly recessed and it left plenty of threads remaining. The threaded insert in the speaker is open all the way through and appears to be firmly installed. After installing the feet I snugged them down slightly and they all feel very solid. Plus, these speakers are so much heavier than my Definitive Technology BP-30s that I feel no need to spike them.

Now I can get down to comparing the bipolar Def Techs to the direct radiating Paradigms. Should be interesting!

Bruce

6. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Gary,

I've not heard from Gary at Paradigm. He will provide feedback I am sure by tomorrow unless he is out of the office.

Just a thought on spiking, which is another topic altogether. My understanding of spiking a speaker is to separate the floor from the speaker, which in theory, provides better bass response?

Not a true audiophile here who has a vast knowledge of this stuff, but unless you are dead set against it, you might want to try it sometime.

I know if I had wood floors, I would not go that route. I have read where some people have heard a difference and others say there is NO difference. Let your ears be your guide.

Yes, the 100's are pretty heavy. Put a bear hug on them and lift um up. Hope you are happy with your purchase.

Charles

7. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Sorry.. Meant Bruce.. [​IMG] LOL

8. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

9. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

Thanks Chas!

10. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Cheers Bruce.. You are welcome. Know where I can purchase a pair of Studio 40's at a decent price?? [​IMG]

11. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

One of my local dealers here in Northern Virginia has recently started carrying Paradigm and gives good prices. I went yesterday and got a Studio CC and a pair of ADPs to match the Studio 100s. Not sure if it's worth the drive for you though.

Bruce

12. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

You've got a PM