Question about Panasonic RA60

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Malto, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Matt Malto

Matt Malto Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if the Panasonic RA60 will play VCD's and/or SVCD's? I've read conflicting reports.

While I'm posting, any other comments about this player? I'm having a hard time finding any reviews other than the few comments I found searching the forums. I am looking to replace my Pioneer DV-440. Someone mentioned it has a "shimmering" problem? Anyone experience this and how bad is it?

2. Matt Malto

Anyone with any comments about this player before I go purchase it in a few hours??! Surely someone owns it.

3. Jim Prillaman

Jim Prillaman Stunt Coordinator

I don't own one, but I've been considering it for a while (looking for an inexpensive player upgrade, would like DVD-A but have no need for progressive scan).

If you do get one, I'd be curious to hear your impressions of it.

4. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

I have the RA60, and I haven't noticed a shimmering problem. It does play back VCD's, but i'm not sure about SVCD's (never attempted). The Pioneer supposedly has really bad chroma bug, and I've never noticed anything on the Panasonic, but that could just be ignorance on my part. (Panasonic does have a good history of not showing the bug however). MP3 support sucks. It just assigns each song a number in alphabetical order. No random, no filenames, and no ID3. Overall sound quality is very good. In my opinion so is the video. BTW the reason you probably aren't seeing any reviews is probably because Panasonic like refuses to acknowledge its existance [​IMG]. Theres no mentioning of it on the website, and its really not heard of too much.

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I have the Panasonic RA60, and yes, it plays VCDs. SVCDs? I don't know since I don't have any. One thing about the RA60 though, the search feature is way WAY BETTER than my Pioneer DV414.

For those who are considering an inexpensive DVD player, the RA60 is great. For a little more $$$ than the typical "major-brand" DVD player, you get DVD-Audio capability, a headphone jack with volume control, and direct track access. Great deal if you can find it for about $200.00.

6. Matt Malto

Thanks for the replies. I picked one up at Circuit City for $199 last night. So far so good. About the only thing I don't like about it is that it will not display the remaining time on a dvd but WILL for VCDs or Dvd-Audio cd's. What's up with that? I haven't had a chance to watch a complete movie yet but after browsing the Shrek and Toy Story dvds I can say the picture quality is excellent. I'm hoping to pick up a Dvd-Audio cd tonight or tomorrow.

7. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I've got one also and have been very happy with it. I don't find the time issue to be a minor annoyance, but that's the only problem with it. If you search on RA60 and my name you can find my review of it from some months ago. Of course, you got it now, so its no big deal.

It is strange how little coverage this gets. I'm not certain I've seen it in any stores yet. I ordered it from a friend in KC without ever having seen it. Now I'm wondering how I found out about it in the first place.

8. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

I actually saw it in an ad for The Wiz, who said it was a limited edition to them, but then it was in a bunch of other places too, so that was a lie.