Question about Panasonic 47wx53

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andy Stocker, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Andy Stocker

Andy Stocker Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone, I just got my Panasonic yesterday and I noticed something. When I use Directv images such as Headline news or any thing on the bottom of the screen isn't shown right. It is easy to see that the image is shifted higher on the right side of the screen when I watch shows such as this...however when I put in 8 mile the black boxes seem to be even from left to right. How can I check to make sure the TV isn't mis-aligned? I did the 9 point convergence setup where I lined up the green lines with the center lines on the tv cabinet...I'm hoping the image from the receiver is the problem. I am able to adjust the picture up and down and left and right from the receiver set-up menu, but what I really need is to "turn" the image.

Thanks for any help,

Andy Stocker

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi andy

it is your set...

there isnt a specific control in the service menu to rotate the image...this will have to be done by using a geometry template and moving the entire image line by line..

regards

gregg loewen

3. Andy Stocker

Yeah, I figured out it was my set today because I was lowering the contrast and I decided to measure the gap between the bottom of the screen and the black menu box. I got a difference of almsot a 1/4 inch (the right side is 1/4 higher). As I said before, to me it is not noticeable until a streaming image (news, sports bar) or box is on the screen, full screen video I can't tell.
    Is it something I should call Panasonic about (the tv is only 2 days old) or will they not even fool with it? I mean, I could just say the heck with it and take it back but if this is a normal issue with most RPTV's I won't worry too much about it. It sounds like the way you describe it its more trouble than its worth. Also, would something like this had to have happened from the factory to my house or are they not always lined up perfectly out of the box?

Thanks,

Andy

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    you can try to have a tech come and look at it...they will have to use a geometry template to correct it...and this isnt too hard to do...just time consuming. You may have to be persistant.

best of luck

gregg

5. Andy Stocker

Is it something that would probably get done quicker with having the extra Best Buy warranty or does that matter?(. would it end up being a Panasonic serviceman regardless) I could just tell them that I want a new TV and have them bring me a new one I guess, but what are the chances it will happen again on another tv? Also, I think I read where you were going to be in the INDY area sometime, anyway you can make it down to Evansville? [​IMG] I would like to have it professionally calibrated some time, and I'm not sure of any ISF pros around here.

Thanks,

Andy Stocker

Evansville, IN 47715

6. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    If it's just a 1/4 inch, then I'd think exchanging TVs won't likely help. This is the kind thing that seems to happen often w/ RPTVs. Heck, you might even find the picture shifting on its own by that much after the first month or two. [​IMG]

_Man_

7. Andy Stocker

WEll, after doing some research on HTF and also on Brett;s Panny website I've got a little confidence I maybe able to do this on my own if I follow directions. Since I've only had this set a week, the consensus seems to be that some specs of the set (convergence) seem to change on their own for the first 5 or 6 weeks...so I'm wondering if I should just hold off doing anything like that for a while. I did disconnect the SVM wires from all of the drive boards this weekend, so I am proud of myself there! (And it looks better!) What I said about the screen being only 1/4 of an inch off is only true in 480i mode...I didn't realize that 1080i has its own convergence and geometry settings (and zoom does too)...BUT the 1080i picture is still off a little bit, but not by much. Thanks for all the input!

Man - should I wait a month and let the tv "settle" down?

Thanks,

Andy Stocker

8. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    That's all up to you. It's not exactly a waste of time to do it now, especially if it bothers you.

BTW, I haven't visited Brett's site/forum in a little while (and haven't seen much of any posts about the new Panny's here either), but are you sure you needed to physically disconnect the SVM wires? In last year's models (of which I own one), SVM could be defeated simply via user level menu. Did Panny revert back to their old ways requiring physical disconnect?? That's pretty odd.

_Man_

9. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

10. Andy Stocker

Is this the same as VM? (velocity modulation) If so, RATS!! Thats what I mean, I don't follow direction very well...so, now should I just leave the the wires unplugged??

Thanks,

Andy

P.S. OR is SVM only defeatable via service menu?? (I'm thinking its the same as VM tho)

11. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Yes, it's called VM in the user menu.

I guess there's no harm in leaving the cables unplugged since you've already done it. Maybe you can plug them back in the next time you happen to reopen the RPTV to do some other tweaks, eg. E/M focus. Also, if you ever need repair service, you should also plug them back in beforehand.

BTW, make sure you read all the info before doing your next tweak, eg. the geometry issue. Don't wanna mess up your service menu settings afterall -- that could be much harder to fix afterward. [​IMG]

Enjoy!

_Man_

12. Andy Stocker

BTW What does Panasonic cover under warranty as far as calibrating...will a tech come out and adjust convergence, geometry and color (if it is off) under warranty or will I have to pay someone to do those things?

Thanks,

Andy Stocker

13. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    If it's way off (like after "evil pop"), that should be covered. But if it's only off by the usual amounts (like typical convergence drift), then I don't think it's covered.

If you want your set perfectly fine tuned, you'll need to hire an ISF guy.

_Man_

14. Douglas Kinne

Douglas Kinne Auditioning

Andy, try to keep out of the service menus for at least the first 100 hours. Pannys, and most other rptvs with crts need at least that much time to "settle in".

All of the other guys have been giving you some real good suggestions, especially when it comes to slowing down a bit and reading the manuals. An hour or two perusing pages will keep you from many days of trying to undo an oops!

Take a look at the Imaging Science Foundation site. It can help you find a professional calibrator in your area that cares about accurate images.

Good Viewing!

Doug

15. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

Hello, I just purchased this set a few weeks ago. I also have the slight dip on my left side at the bottom. My set is almost a 1/4 inch as well.

I thought it was just my eyes Ha, Ha.

Beau