What's new

Question about Panamax 5100 vs 5300 (1 Viewer)

tom_furman

Stunt Coordinator
I decided its time to get a "real" surge protector. I've got it narrowed down to one of these models. I'm not sure if the 5300 is worth the extra dough. Their web site says:

The Max5300 has 11 outlets vs 10, including a front convenience outlet.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Additional inlets: you're not missing anything but some people just might have more inputs that need attention. If you don't, then you don't.

Double L: seems that it has the ability to give you a bit more EFI/RFI attenuation...seems variable though from the info at panamax. does not seem like a biggie though.

Analog vs. digital: you gonna spend your time watching the unit or watching movies?

DC input trigger: Let's say you want to turn on a variety of devices...dvd, cd player, whatever that are normally on from lets say your receiver that has a dc out trigger. this will let you do it.

Detachable power cord...I must've missed that in the literature. If they both have it...so what? Maybe you're one of those people that damage cords or maybe you like to buy beefy ones for strange reasons. Lots of things have detachable power cords these days.

if you don't need the features of the 5300, buy the 5100.

if you're not clear they do have a toll free number (800-472-5555) where perhaps someone can go over things with you.

tom_furman

Stunt Coordinator
thanks..for the info. for the money the 5100 seems much better for me. i'm not gonna pay the xtra $100+ for a tad more filtering and a bunch of features i won't ever need.

one last question...how far down can you dim the LED lights on the 5100? i'd want mine almost off

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
actually, as I read the specs, the innards of both units appear to be exactly the same with same surge/spike performance level, same two sets of 4-plug banks, same filtering, same two high-current outlets.

As Chu says, the 12V Trigger is just a convenience for how one wants to power up, in some sequence, the "switched" components (unlike VCR for example, which needs "Always On" to maintain its clock). You'd have to buy a $12 12VAC/DC wall-wart fron Rat Shack to plug into the receiver.(I dont know if Panamax supplies one.) Power on the rcvr, and it triggers the Panamax circuit(s) on. Or just leave Max outlets always on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks