What's new

Question About Packaging on US 2-Disc Unforgiven Set... (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I have a question...

I recently purchased the Unforgiven Anniversary 2-Disc Set about 2 months ago and was really frustrated with the packaging to the point that I had to return the DVD after a lengthy argument with my local retailer.

For some reason, the geniuses at this store decided to place one of those transparent sealent stickers that are usually stuck around the top, bottom and sides of amaray keepcases - on the upper front of the outer slipcase!

I spent nearly 10 minutes, attempting with great caution, to remove this frivolous sticker from the outer slip, without damaging the packaging.

Well I ripped and made a mess of my cover and angrily returned the DVD. Now since it was opened they wouldnt refund my money, and it took a lot to get them to even exchange the set for another copy, but I managed - now I am still left with a problem...

The damn sticker is there again and I don't want to risk ruining another cover attempting to remove the pointless thing from the packaging!

I was considering going down to a different retailer and purchasing the exact same title, not opening it, and returning my current set for a refund and keeping the new DVD, but... all other retailers I've been to have applied the same logic in placing this sticker over the top of a slip case which opens horizontally... what the hell?!?!

Now, I'm just wondering if anyone is farmiliar with the way this set is packaged in the States (I live in Canada) so I'm wondering if I will encounter this same stupid problem if I were to purchase my copy in the US?

Has anyone else had this same situtation when opening their Unforgiven sets?

I know this isn't really the end of the world but when I purchase a DVD, especially a multi-disc anniversary set, or any product for that matter, I expect it to be in brand new mint condition! I don't like paying $30 for a DVD with a torn up slip case with peeled off cardboard, full of sticker residue...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

It sounds like you're talking about packaging done by the studios, rather than by retail stores. The security stickers on all of the DVDs I own have been under the shrink wrapping, meaning that whatever studio put out the title put them there. The store isn't to blame.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure where you bought yours, but the Unforgiven I carry has one seal at the top of the digipack case on the OUTSIDE.

Christian

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

But aren't security stickers for the store's insurance rather than the studios? I've seen different copies of certain dvd's with different security packaging vary at different retailers...

What's most confusing about this though, is that the security sticker was placed over the top of the case, only this particular box-set has an opening in the right hand side where the dvd slips out, so the sticker was pointless.

I can't understand why all these sets would have this pointless sticker placed over the top of the box... it literally ruins every set. It cant be removed without tearing the cardboard off with it, and it's placement is the equivalent of putting a protective security sticker smack in the middle of a regular keepcase - it does nothing, other than ruin the box.

That's why I'd like to figure out where I can find a copy where this isnt the case. I still have my brand new replacement, still sealed, but Im not going to open it and ruin this dvd also.

Id like to find a copy without the stupid sticker on top, buy it, than return this one with the receipt from the new one... or even sell this copy if I can find one from the US.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Do you mean OVER the shrinkwrap? Mine is also on the outside of the case - its on the top of the outer slip cover, which seems pointless to me. Only its directly on the cardboard cover... for no reason! It ruins the entire outer packaging of the dvd.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The stickers on TOP of DVDs also double as labels for the warehouse people who "pick" the titles for shipment. The top sticker has the movie title on it.

But, I agree with the thread-starter here: It's ridiculous to place this top sticker directly on the cardboard, UNLESS it's the very easily-removed type of "window cling" kind of dealie (like what we find on all of Warner Brother's snapper cases). Those "WB" type of stickers are very easy to peel off without destroying the merchandise. I've never had a snap-case sticker peel off any cardboard.

Marco .... Did the "pointless" sticker you eluded to have the movie title printed on it?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Security stickers are meant to prevent theft, so they're really of benefit to both the store and the studio. Studios do put them in the packaging, making them harder to steal. If the store were to put a security sticket on the shrink-wrap, then I could walk into the store, grab the DVD, pull the security sticker off, and walk out with a stolen, brand new, sealed DVD. By putting the stickers under the shrink-wrap, in theory, they become harder to steal without anyone noticing. Studios want to sell as many copies of a product as they can, and if the DVDs are stolen, that's one less person buying the DVD. Studios also want stores to buy their product, and since stores like theft protection and stores are the studio's customer, DVDs get security-stickers.

DVDs come shrinkwrapped, and "Unforgiven" is no exception to that. If there's a security sticker over the shrink-wrap, the store put it there - but if it's over the shrink-wrap, then it's not a problem for you because it comes off with the wrapping. If it's actually on the DVD case itself, the studio put it there. I've seen a few of those "Unforgiven" style packages that had those stickers on them... you just have to peel them off very, very, very slowly.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

IMPOSSIBLE!

Not with these sets and believe me... I've tried!

I'm stuck here with a sealed copy that I'm afraid to open because I don't want to ruin yet another set.

I'd love to know where I can just purchase a copy without the damn sticker plastered right on the cardboard cover!

Shawn_Sek

Stunt Coordinator
i have heard of people using a hair dryer to help loosen the sticker to make it peel off easier. i dont know how bad the residue will be after though but there are products that remove sticker residue without damage.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
It's not the sticker residue Im worried about removing, its the entire top portion of the cover...

If a studio or retailer is going to apply this stupid logic in placing the stickers directly onto the case packaging, the least they could do is have a little common sense and make sure that the adhesive isnt going to stick like rubber cement!

If I attempt to remove the sticker, I guarantee as happened with my other copy, that the entire top half of the cover beneath the sticker will peel off leaving a ripped white cardboard strip on my dvd slip.

I would just like to know whether retailers in the US have done the same thing to this Unforgiven 2-Disc set because theres no way Im opening my copy... I just want to figure out where I can obtain one without this sticker over the outer slip cover.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

It may be similar to that with the DVD world, but here's the thing... if an album gets stolen and the retailer still has to pay the studio, which will still have to pay the artist, the retailer is not going to be happy. If enough titles get stolen, the retailer is going to start losing some major money which will affect their ability to stay in business. If they go out of business, the studio has lost a client. With theft protection stickers, the studio is helping itself by helping its client, the retail stores.

And since when do artists actually see money from retail sales? :D

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

As I said, independant releases. ;)

Thanks for the info on the US versions also, I'm just gonna shop around this week and see what I can find. Maybe it's just the stickers used with this particular store thats causing me problems...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Again, if the stickers are underneath the shrink-wrap and directly on the DVD case, it's not the store putting the sticker there, it's the studio slapping it on during manufacturing and packaging. In that case, all copies should be the same.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm bringing this thread back to the top after almost a year because... the same thing happened to me again after purchasing this stupid set!!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I am so frustrated!!!

This is one of my favorite modern westerns and for months now I've been unable to own it due to the ridiculous packaging which tears apart the cover of the set every single time I purchase it and try to remove the sticker!!!

I've done everything... In fact, I just spent TWENTY MINUTES sitting on my living room floor with a hair dryer attempting to ease the peeling and removing with the utmost possible care and caution, literally lifting one piece of the plastic sticker every 3-4 minutes... and again the top of the box came right off with it!!!

I'm left with a brand new box set which I just spent $30 CAN on, with a torn cover and white marks accross the top where the sticker/coloring peeled off.

Am I destined to just never own this film on DVD?

Is there ANYWHERE that I can go to purchase this set without the ridiculous sticker in place?

It honestly seems like the studio just slapped it on there as some kind of evil ploy to purposefuly destroy every single box set of these purchased.

I'm taking the set back to the store tomorrow for an exchange, this is easily the fifth time now... any advice guys???

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Ahh, if only it were a simple security tag Frank...

I'm actually referring to the "security STICKER" that is usually placed over the opening of amaray cases to prevent potential shoplifters and thefts.

In this case, it's placed directly on the top cardboard of the digipack. It serves no purpose as it's not placed in any position where it might serve as extra security for the studios or retailers. It's just slapped right atop the upper front of the Unforgiven 2-Disc Special Edition digipack.

I obviously have no intention of leaving a giant security sticker on the cover on my shelf display... yet it just can't be removed without tearing the cardboard right off the digipack!

It's by far the stupidest thing I've ever seen when it comes to DVD packaging and I own well over 600 films...

I am very angry about this, because I've been trying to own this movie for over a year now, but everytime I attempt to purchase it, I am left with a damaged box cover. Not acceptable.

It's being returned tomorrow, but I can't believe that these stickers are placed on every single set, in every retail shop, in every city accross North America...

I am looking for advice because this is really frustrating me!

OT: As for the security tags, as you mentioned Frank, I've learned to just live with them on my digipack cases because you end up making more of a mess of the packaging in attempting to remove them. I agree it's stupid though. They should be placed ABOVE the plastic trays, simple and effective.

This 'Unforgiven' issue is driving me nuts though!!!

Mike D

Stunt Coordinator
If the stickers are put on by Warner they should be able to send you one prior application. If I understand correctly you only need a new slipcase, you don't need a replacement disc or even the inner packaging, so I can't see it being a problem. Especially if this customer relations nightmare is as widespread as it seems to be.

Not sure how you'd contact them though, anybody have an email address?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestion Mike, it is only the outer slipcase cover.

I'd REALLY appreciate a contact number or email address to direct to WB...

Please post if anyone has details. I'd like to get this resolved once and for all.

Mike D

Stunt Coordinator
Marco,

Back when I had a problem with my LOTR:TTT slipcase, I was able to get a replacement from Alliance Atlantis. Although LOTR is a New Line film I believe they are related to Warners and may have the same Canadian distributor.

Does the packaging indicate Alliance Atlantis anywhere?

If it does try [email protected]

Alliance Atlantis is actually part of Universal whose toll-free customer service number for Canada is 1-866-532-2203 (be prepared to leave a message)

Hope this helps,
Mike

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I just picked up the One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest SE which is in the same packaging, and it also had a title sticker on the top. I hate to say it, but it came off with absolutely no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks