What's new

Question about Outlook Address Book (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I am moving some files from one laptop to another new one. Does anyone know how to copy the Outlook email address book file to a new computer?

I can't seem to find a function in Outlook that does this.

Thanks for your help! :)

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
The import/export function handles this for you. Use Outlook's help searching on "Exporting" and it will walk you through the steps.

what version of Outlook are we talking about 98, 2000, Express?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i assume you mean outlook and not outlook express?

i think that you can also export the contacts list to a .pst file.

but, like gordon said, just use the help wizard and ask the quetion "how do i export my address book?" a popup box will appear with step-by-step instructions.

[edit] - a .pst file may be a good idea for your next pc too lee. then, in the future, if you need to move your data around, you just copy the single .pst file - it contains everything your "normal" email would have.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
In Outlook (not Express), the .pst holds Contact items in your Contacts folder. Personal Address Books are saved separately as .pab files. You can just move the .pab file from one system to the other and set it up as the personal address book in tools|services. If it's POP3 and not Exchange, you can just copy over the .pst file and you'll get everything from messages to contacts.

If it is Express, go to file|export|address book on the old install and export as text/.csv. Then go to file|Import|other address book and choose text/csv from there and point to the previously exported .csv file.

Hanson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks