What's new

Question about optical cables (1 Viewer)

ChrisPATT

Stunt Coordinator
I have run out of digital inputs on my receiver and need to get a optical splitter and a couple cables - and I don't want to spend much money. I checked partsexpress and found this splitter for $5.80

partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-964

They also have several optical cables and I was wondering if there is really going to be much of an audible difference between these choices, or other ones on the site.

$2.80
partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=16418278&St=2533&St2=-37638294&St3=-37487553&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=15990&DID=7

$6.50
partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=16418278&St=2533&St2=-37638294&St3=-37487553&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=16146&DID=7

This will be used for a secondary dvd player that is used mostly for dvd-a/sacd (I have it currently hooked up with analog cables. My main player is used just for watching dvds - but sometimes I have to use the secondary one and I would like to be able to used the digital out.

I just wondering (since it is a digital cable) if there would be much difference between these.

Receiver is a Denon 3802 with Paradigm studio speakers.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
The latter seems to be a bit more robustly built. Audible differences? Nope.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
partsexpress is a great place (i've ordered stuff from there)... but their shipping is brutal. i think a simple cable cost me like 8 bucks to ship.

just go to best-buy and pick yourself up an AR optical. or rat-shack would even do.

ChrisPATT

Stunt Coordinator
The latter seems to be a bit more robustly built. Audible differences? Nope
I was hoping that would be the case. I have heard that since it is digital, then the cable wouldn't matter too much. Of course, to be on the safe side, I still use better cables (canary, outlaw) on my other sources..;)

I also did try radio shack and the cheapest they had in the store was their "gold" series for $20.00 - plus $20.00 for the switcher. That would have been $60.00 - hopefully I can get what I need from PE for under $20.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well it pays to think out your order carefully and add items that you need or could use to make that s/h more tolerable. For example, bananas, spades, contact cleaner are possibilities. You might also want to see what Walmart, Target, Electronic Boutique have in the way of what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks