What's new

Question about online service for XBOX vs. PS2 (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Hey all, I'm thinking of picking up an XBOX soon. Please tell me how the online process WORKS. I understand that I have to buy an $80 kit which includes a headset and a 6 month subscription. What exactly am I subscribing to? does MS charge a fee for this? if so how much in canadian funds? Does sony charge the same rate? Can I get XBOX live or sony online in Canada and what hardware do I need? I have more questions but can't think right now while at work, please tell me just how it all WORKS!!?? thanks.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
X-Box
-$50 a year fee
-you get a free game, XBL setup stuff, and headset
-broadband only

PS2
-no annual fee (unless a specific game charges one)
-must buy Network Adapter for $40 (56k and BB in one package)

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
PS2 also comes with a free copy of Twisted Metal Black Online.

Xbox
* gamertag - same name on all Xbox live games (key for buddy lists, invites etc.)
* every Xbox live games have the same standards (gamertags, headset support, etc.)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The PS2 is done using a Peer-to-Peer system, so Sony isn't providing servers for all online games. The X-Box Live service is going to all be run through MS's servers, so you have to pay for those.

No matter what happens, you will have to pay an annual fee for the X-Box and won't for PS2 unless you subscribe to a specific game that requires a fee.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The PS2 is done using a Peer-to-Peer system, so Sony isn't providing servers for all online games. The X-Box Live service is going to all be run through MS's servers, so you have to pay for those.
You know, that's a funny thing. "Most" Xbox games are peer to peer as well, y'know. Microsoft aren't running big giant servers for every game. The server farms are instead for maintaining the "digital heartbeat" that all XBoxLive games keep in near constant touch with for info such as buddy lists, payment info, general game "info".

Edan W

Stunt Coordinator
Paul, I understand that the initial xbox live starter kit comes with a 12 month subscription as opposed to 6. As far as fees go for particular games, I don't think anyone knows for sure which, if any, of the games will have fees but it's a good bet that MMORPG's and such will charge something per month. If you want some more information on the whole setup, check out xbox.com and their Live section, there's quite a bit of information there.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
BrianB-

It was my understanding that while some games were run through P2P, they all used the servers in some way, such as chat rooms, downloading content, etc. so every game needs them, and thus, the annual fee.

RandyJay

Auditioning
Something else to consider is on-line ISP gaming surcharges.
The below is from a review of the PS2 network adaptor.
Link Removed
"The only thing you have to do now is set up your ISP. If you have a popular ISP, such as America Online, AT&T Worldnet, Earthlink, SBC, etc., then all you have to do is fill out the requested information (which should be very familiar to you), and log online. Some ISPs, such as America Online, require you to call an activation number, which leads to some disappointing news. More on that in the Cons section of this article.
Cons:
There is only one con, and it isn't one that I have with the adaptor itself, but rather the online aspect. Regardless of whether or not you subscribe to an ISP, you may still have to pay an additional monthly fee. This will surely come as a surprise to you, as this information was kept very, very quiet. When I called the toll-free number to activate my account, I found out that after December 21st, 2002, America Online would begin charging me $5 a month to play games online. This may not sound like much, but consider this: I already pay nearly $24 a month for AOL. The extra $5 brings it up to $29. Not only that, but most of the really, really big online games planned for release next year, such as Final Fantasy XI, will have a separate monthly fee.
Note: Some ISPs may NOT charge an additional monthly fee. To find out if yours does or not, check with your local provider."
Also from the Xbox Live website:
"1. What's up with AOL High-Speed Broadband and Xbox Live?
It is currently not possible to connect to Xbox Live using AOL High Speed Broadband service provided over DSL or cable networks. Although we have been working with AOL, we have not come up with a mutually agreeable workaround at this time. We are continuing to actively work with AOL High Speed Broadband to develop a solution to this issue. Note that AOL-compatible home routers from Actiontec or Linksys do not currently solve this problem. We understand that AOL offers a "bring-your-own-access" option, please contact AOL for more information. We apologize for any inconvenience and please check back here for updated information, as we have it."
Randy

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Link Removed
Sorry, the impulse was too great and I had to post the above.;)
NOTE: The above is not directed towards anyone in this thread. I simply hate AOL! Of course I work for one of its main competitors so...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks