Question about Onkyo Refurbished TX-SR800

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JessPrice, Jul 11, 2003.

1. JessPrice

JessPrice Stunt Coordinator

What is so bad about refurbished products? They are double checked by the Manufacturer to work perfectly like the new ones, and come with a 1-year warranty. Is there something I am missing? Do many refurbished items break easily? I can get a refurbished tx-sr800 for $700, but the lowest i can get a new one is for $300 more, should I go with the refurbished one?

2. BrianMe

BrianMe Stunt Coordinator

I've bought 2 Onkyo units. The first (an older 400-series) was a "demo" and not a refurb. I had to take it in twice to get it fixed, but it was under warranty and then worked flawlessy for about 4 years before I sold it.

I bought my current unit, an Onkyo TXSR-600 from Onkyo refurbished. I bought the extended warranty (like $50 on this one) and it has worked flawlessly for about 3 months now. If you are going to buy a refurb, I suggest buying it directly from Onkyo. Also, expect that you may have a blemish or two. My unit has a very small scratch on one side (can 't see it in the cabinet), but they painted it prior to sending it out to me and it si BARELY noticeable.

By direct from Onkyo, and get an extended warranty, and you should be fine!

Brian

3. Steve Osborne

Well, I have had several refurbed electronics before, both Denon and Onkyo, usually with no problem, some are cosmetic issues, some have had repairs. I got a refurbed Denon DCM-370 cd player last year for 89.00!! delivered. At the time it was about 300.00 on the web, but the factory warranty was only 90 days on it. The refurbed Onkyo SR-800 comes with a 1 year warranty, while the new ones have a 2 year warranty. I got a price quoted to me here of 789.00 out the door on a SR-800, tax included, at Circuit City, new in a sealed box, to match a web price. To me, I would much rather pay another 89.00 for a brand new one and get another year warranty.

Steve

4. JessPrice

JessPrice Stunt Coordinator

Steve, where are you in dallas? What kind of system do you have?

5. Steve Osborne

In Dallas. I'm in the research mode right now, considering the Pioneer VSX-45TX, Denon AVR-3803, Onkyo TXSR-800
    Lots of choices out there.

Steve