Question about one of my guilty pleasures--Friday the 13th

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom-G, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

I realize that Paramount has released the first six Friday the 13th films on DVD, but is there any word on whether or not we will ever get special editions of each film, maybe even a box set special edition?

Also, I thought New Line had acquired the rights to Friday the 13th, but I presume it's only the theatrical not home video rights?

I just finished watching all of the Friday the 13th films, and I have been considering purchasing all of them on DVD, but I would rather wait to see if a box set is in the works.

2. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I'm no expert, but from all the different sites I've read, we'll never see Friday the 13th series how fans want to see them. There probably won't be a box set because one of them (I don't know which one) isn't on DVD because of legal issues or something. Plus, everyone wants them uncut and we all know that will never happen. Who knows if the negatives with the uncut footage are even in working condition.

But as I said, I'm no expert, so if anyone knows more, please chime in.

3. Raymond Johnson

Raymond Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Paraount could release a box set of 1-8 since they own them,while New Line owns Jason Goes to Hell & Jason X + any further films they make,if at all. If both studios could reach an agreement...then a complete set could be released,but don't hold your breath.
    On the topic of the censored footage throughout the entire series.....
    Prints of part 1 uncut(when we say uncut,we mean uncensored! in other words,since some people mistake uncut for every single second of footage shot for the film,lol) could easily be released as it's readily avalible in Japan and other countries. + as for the condition...if you notice on Paramounts dvd..one uncut death scene slipped through,while the others had brief additions + a much more cut up decap at the ending. But to point out......the footage looked in good shape for me!.....the least they could do with any uncensored footage is to restore it to the best condition possbile(does'nt have to be mind blowing perfect) & restore it into the films where they belong.
    So for a film from 1980!....the entire film looked incredible on the dvd,even the brief addtions...but nowhere near completely uncensored. So find footage for the rest of the series..it's out there & restore them!
    One film in the series we have a really good chance of getting a uncut release...since the footage still exists & the director is willing to restore the film...if Paramount lets him is Friday the 13th part VII:The New Blood.
    Which you can see from my signature..and if enough people help out...theres a huge chance this will happen & then the rest of the series should follow. If no one helps out...then you can kiss any chances of SE's goodbye[​IMG]
    + if Paramount does decide for SE releases.....the films better be uncut & the footage restored in the film....i + everyone do ont want it to be tacked on as an "extra" to be watched outside of the film. That just doesn't make sense + is an insult.

4. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

The A/V on the current DVDs is outstanding compared to the VHS's.
    I would love to see 7 get it's original cut released on DVD,but i fear that Paramount caught wind of our wants and immediately destroyed that footage.(I know.I know,i'm very paranoid.[​IMG])

5. Beau

Beau Supporting Actor

I think that there is a chance for SE/uncut DVD's for the series(1-8), but not until they finish releasing the series on DVD bare-boned(which are 7 and 8), then they MAY re-release them, if not all of them maybe only "The New Blood". Although we may not see anything at all, but I'd say that there is a chance we just may. As for JGTH and JX, New Line would most likely release JGTH on SE DVD(prehaps Platinum edition) when JX is released on DVD later this year(it comes out in theaters on April 26th) which means JX will be out on DVD sometimes September/October this year on either Platinum Edition or Infinifilm. As for an Ulitmate Edition Box-Set 1-X, I don't think this will EVER happen because of the 2 companies (Paramount and New Line) wouldn't be able to come to an agreement, but it would kick ASS if it did happen.

6. KristianH

KristianH Agent

Just imagine a box with all 1-10 movies, in "uncut", well unrated versions. I would just like to say...aahhh fattening!!!

Its to bad if this box will never be released at least 1-8 since its different companies that ownes the rights.

7. rhett

rhett Supporting Actor

I have bought all the bare bones discs, and to Paramount's credit, they look VERY good (the third film is night and day with the VHS). I have high hopes that Paramount will do to Friday what they did to Star Trek, and start releasing the films in SE form after these last two are released in September. There is reason for hope though, since Mr. Epstein has hinted in this thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=53637
    That there will be some news that will excite horror fans, so one can only hope with all the feedback we've been giving Mr. Blythe and the HTF that there might finally be light beyond the horizon.
    From what I have read, Parts 2, 8 and 7 were the most heavily cut, but all of the films were cut to a lesser extent as well. I realize that these films are not a gold mine for Paramount, but they sure have a cult following, and since they are stuck with them I hope they at least give the fans what they deserve for being (EXTREMELY) patient these last few years.

8. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

I guess I should consider picking up the unrated version of Goes to Hell on laserdisc I saw in that pawn shop. I'm only a real fan of part VII the New Blood but it would be great if Paramount and New Line responded favourably to all of your threads guys. Good Luck![​IMG]

9. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

10. Claire_B

Claire_B Agent

Me and my husband LOVE the Friday the 13th movies.

I am happy to own the current DVD's, BUT

I really would like to see UNCUT F13 movies on DVD. I really enjoy a good splatter flick and I would be more than happy to buy all the Friday The 13th movies UNCUT on DVD.

11. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

12. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Guys, guys, guys (and gals of course, I am sure there are some female horror fans out there!)
    I can't believe no one has thought of requesting what I have been dreaming about... Friday The 13 TH 3D
    Yes I know part 3 is out on DVD but I recently got to see it in 3D in a theatre (repertory of course) who was have a 3D movie special. It was awesome! Really, I cannot see it the same anymore.
    I believe IMAX has released 3D movies on DVD and New Line had the end sequence of Nightmare 6 in 3D (just like in Theatres) so why not re-release Friday part 3 in 3D?
    Man oh man... just the thought... so cool!

13. Claire_B

Claire_B Agent

Oh, I agree !

Part 3 in 3D would rule !!!!

14. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

hmmm, I'd forgotten that this title was in 3-D. I remember seeing it in 3-D originally in theaters, waaaaaaaaay back when.

More companies need to release their 3-D movies on DVD. Universal should release Jaws 3 in 3-D, and if Paramount ever does a boxed set of the Friday series, Part 3 in 3-D is a must. One of the best 3-D experiences of my movie-going life.

And wasn't the third Amityville movie in 3-D? I wonder who owns that now? MGM?

15. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

Back to the Future: In the late 1980's "Friday the 13th Part III" was released in the superior field-sequential 3-D video format on VHD videodisc in Japan. (Along with Jaws 3-D, House of Wax, Dial M for Murder etc)
    These 3-D versions were and are FAR superior to any of the red/blue (anaglyph) 3-D video crap released.
    With DVD, both a "flat" and a 3-D version could be included on a DVD. But instead Paramount opted for "no choices at all" and stuck with the "modified to fit your screen" 2-D version. [​IMG] ..What a waste of DVD's potential.

16. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

I've always heard that A New Begining was the most edited since the MPAA was EXTRA strict that year. Although 5 is far from being my favorite Ft13 movie I heard of some interesting edits. I'd settle for a boxset of 1-8 (hopefully SE) from Paramount and buying JGTH and JX seperately.

17. Raymond Johnson

Raymond Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Heres a list of whats censored from the four heaviest cut films in the series. part 2 & the heavily censored trio 5,6 & 7!
    Jason Goes To Hell while heavily censored as well was left off this list since a Unrated(Thank you New Line[​IMG] )version was released on video & LD.
    We can only hope Paramount decides to release the films uncut finnaly..we've been patient for years & have only been stuck imagineing what could have been.................
    Alternate Versions for
    Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)
    The following scenes were cut from the film in order to avoid an "X" rating from the MPAA:
    A close-up shot Jeff and Sandra being double-impaled while having sex on the bed.
    A close up shot of Crazy Ralph and the wire cutting.
    A scene at the very end where we are shown the inside Jason's shack and see Pamela's face. While there, her eyes open. It was cut by Paramount for looking too fake.
    A facing shot of Mark's face being split by the machete.
    Blood was trimmed from the shot of Jason driving the hammer in the cop's head.
    The flashback footage showing Mrs. Voorhees decapitation was trimmed.
    Bloodflow was cut from the shot of Jason driving an icepick into Alice's head.
    Additional bloodflow was cut from the shot of Jason slicing Scott's throat.
    Alternate Versions for
    Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)
    British video version misses all shots of topless girls
    German video version has all the topless girls in but (nearly) all of the violence cut.
    When Lana the waitress is murdered with the ax, the shot of her body hitting the ground and quivering was cut to avoid an X rating in the U.S.
    In the television version of this film, there is a shot of the paramedic saying "I'll be damned" after he pulls the sheet off Joey's mangled body, replacing the shot of Joey's body itself.
    The following scenes were cut from the film:
    Joey and Robin were in a barn. Robin would put a piece of candy in Joey's mouth. Every time that he ate a candy, she would give Joey a kiss. It was cut because of time restrictions.
    Eddie's death was cut to avoid an "X" rating; originally blood and his cranial innards spurted out of the straps as Roy twisted them.
    Robin's machete death was originally shown. The knife went through her chest, causing blood to spray across her upper half.
    There was more of a shot of the cleaver in Jake's face. Blood protruded out of the wound and down to his neck. The scene was cut because Paramount was dissatisfied with how it looked.
    There was a scene of Junior's head being cut off.
    A more graphic scene of Joey's death was filmed. His innards shot out of his back as he was stabbed by Jake.
    Violet was supposed to be killed by the machete in between the legs, however the board found it offensive and cut it from the script.
    In the original shooting script, the opening scene was much different. In it, Corey Feldman and Jason were taken to the same hospital after the murders. Tommy goes crazy and kills all of the orderlies and patients while trying to get to Jason. He finally finds him, but Jason rises and attacks Tommy. Then, Tommy wakes up in the back of the mental hospital van.
    There is an alternate version of the film which runs 91 minutes and contains several small and mostly inconsequential differences. These are:
    "Version 2" is in the lower right hand corner throughout the movie.
    There is no close-up of Jason pulling the machete out of Neil's stomach during the opening sequence.
    Duke's (the paramedic) line is altered when he sees Joey's body. In the original version he says "Bunch of pussies..." while in Version 2 he says "I'll be damned...".
    There is a different angle briefly used in Pete's death.
    The scene in which Ethel yells at Junior as he is eating his stew is re-edited to remove the profanity, and uses some different angles.
    When Demon is about to open the outhouse door some of the profanity he uses is cut from the scene.
    After Junior is decapitated there is an alternate angle of Ethel in the kitchen, and her dialogue is slightly altered.
    The scene of Robin going to bed is re-edited to exclude some of her nudity and some dialogue.
    Before the above scene is a scene of Violet in her room which originally was part of a scene which ocurred a few minutes later. When the scene happens a few minutes later, the footage that was previously used is not present.
    When Pam fights off Roy with the chainsaw, she hits him twice in shoulder. Only the second hit appears in the original version.
    When Roy dies, the camera stays on Pam, Tommy and Reggie instead of showing Roy falling on the spikes.
    The UK version of the film was cut by a massive 1 minute and 22 seconds due to gore and extreme nudity, although both of these catagories are soon to be lifted.
    Alternate Versions for
    Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)
    German video version misses most of the violence.
    The following scenes were cut to avoid an "X" rating:
    Allen's insides were ripped out of his body by Jason. He dragged the guts and heart out; he dropped them on the ground where his heart laid steaming.
    The triple decapitation of the 3 paintball players. The first print showed their heads being sliced right off of their shoulders.
    The two camp counselors in the car's deaths were also trimmed: The woman speared in the water was cut of excess blood. The man was speared, lifted into the air, and then slid down the spear, leaving his insides on it.
    Jason shoved the broken bottle into the caretaker's neck and he falls to the ground as the camera gets a close up of the blood coming out of the bottle.
    Cort's death had a little more to it in the first print. After Cort is stabbed in the side of the head, blood begins to shoot out his head.
    The wall-to-wall blood cabin originally had a lot more blood and guts in it. There were shots of livers and hearts running down the walls, but it was all thought too graphic to have in the film.
    The backbreaking sheriff's scene had more to it. There were more screams, more bone crushing, and his legs began to kick.
    A scene at the very end was cut. In it, a red-haired Elias Voorhees walked to his son's grave. Knowing he wasn't in the casket, Elias gives the camera a wicked glare.
    Sissy's death was toned down. Originally, you could see her head torn off and dropped.
    Originally, a shot of Mrs. Voorhees' grave appeared next to her sons' grave in the opening sequence. Later, there was some dialogue in the police station where Tommy asked why Jason wasn't cremated, and the sheriff responded by saying "We were gonna, but some asshole paid to give Jason and his mother a proper burial." "Some asshole" is revealed in the final cut scene (at the film's end) to be Jason's father.
    In the original script, the deaths of both Jill and Officer Pappas were more graphic. Instead of Jason pushing Nikki's face into the wall, as we see in the wide release, Jason squeezed her throat until blood spurted out. In Officer Pappas' death, Jason originally tore off his face (literally), leaving a faceless corpse staring ahead before falling down. However, veteran Friday The 13th producer Frank Mancuso, Jr. advised director Tom McLoughlin to tone down these scenes for the film, stating that the MPAA would never give the film an "R" rating with these scenes intact.
    The workprint version, currently circulating as a bootleg, contains the sheriff's backbreaking death in its entirety. The ending is also slightly altered; it excludes the profanity Tommy spouts at Jason, and the ensuing fight between Tommy and Jason both above and below the lake's surface is longer. After Megan rescues Tommy and shoves the boat's propeller into Jason's neck, the shot of the gore spilling into the water is eliminated.
    The Norwegian video-version is uncut with an 18 rating.
    Alternate Versions for
    Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)
    The following scenes were removed from the film in order to get an "R" rating rather than an "X":
    Jason's face is constantly masked in shadows to avoid shots of his moldy, decomposing face. The complex make-up was made to conform to actor Kane Hodder's face, but was later deleted from nearly the entire movie when the MPAA deemed it "a bit too grisly".
    Judy's sleeping bag death was cut to absolutely no gore. In the original version, Jason hits her against the tree and her body explodes, spurting blood and guts from all sides of the bag.
    Maddy's death, which is offscreen in the wide-release version, but in original prints a scythe is jammed into her neck and bursts from the other side.
    Ben's death is much grislier. In uncut versions, Jason smashes his head into a mushy pulp and blood pours down his face.
    Eddie's death was cut. In the original version, we see his head drop to the floor, but in the theatrical version, we only hear it.
    Russ's head splits open as Jason hits it with an axe. This scene was also cut.
    Amanda Shepard's death is virtually unseen in the wide release, which only shows her get stabbed from behind for a second and then cuts to Doctor Crew's shocked face. Uncut, she is impaled on the blade, which juts violently from her chest. Jason then lifts her off the ground on it and waits until she finally dies.
    Dr. Crews was killed with a tree-trimming saw. Originally, Jason tore into his gut, spilling out a fountain of entrails and blood that spurted up into the air.
    Melissa's death has an ax violently cleaving her face in two, splitting it down the middle in a gruesome close-up that left her eyes still wiggling in their sockets. Jason then tossed her aside, which is all we see in the cut release.
    Stan's death was also cut. There was a shot of Jason's hand ripping through the front of his body with guts attached.
    Tina Shepard has a vision of her mother's demise at Jason's hands while driving a car. Buechler originally wanted the vision to be of Jason holding the severed head of Mrs. Voorhees, but Gulf + Western wouldn't allow it.
    A denouement scene was filmed in which a fisherman in a boat on Crystal Lake hooks a largemouth bass, but as he's reeling it in, Jason rises from the lake and pulls him under. The scene was removed from the final cut, because it was deemed too close to the ending of the original Friday the 13th and Part 3.
    Michael's death was cut. Originally, Jason rammed the spike all the way through his body, causing blood to spurt out.
    Tina's vision of Michael getting killed was also more graphic.

18. rhett

rhett Supporting Actor

19. KristianH

KristianH Agent

If anyone wants to make a poll or has the power to get in touch with the company.
    Keywords to my ecstasy would be:
    UNCUT - Its a gory movie, its supposed to be gory.
    OAR - Doesn't need further explanation, judging from the board here. =)
    If either of the ones above is not on the releases I wouldn't buy them. Thats for sure.