question about off air antennas...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steve Soltis, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Steve Soltis

Steve Soltis Auditioning

I just got a new 60 inch HDTV. My local cable company supplied me with an HD DVR converter, but they dont have FOX or ABC on their HD service/line-up, has something to do with their contract with ABC/FOX. My company is Time Warner, by the way...

Anyways. I was able to use an old antenna from my parents house and amzingly enough I am able to pick up FOX AND ABC HD, which looks awesome.

My question is this. I still am interested in being able to DVR stuff on ABC and FOX in High Definition like sports, 24, Lost, etc. How can I hook everything up so that is able to work? Does anyone know what the proper hook up method would be for this to work? Also, how can I hook up the antenna signals to my 5.1 surround reciever?

Thanks in advance for any help....

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I don't think it's possible. Are you using the DVR device as the OTA receiver?

3. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I agree with Philip. I wasn't aware that any of the cable HD DVR's had the ability to record an OTA HD signal. So if you want to watch HD off those two stations, you won't be able to use the dvr. As to your other question, if your antenna is hooked to the tv and you are using the tv's ATSC tuner as I expect, your tv should have a digital audio out, either coax or optical, that you can connect to your receiver to get 5.1 for your HD.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Unfortunately, you’d have to get a stand-alone DVR for the antenna channels, and it would probably work like a VCR – i.e., manual programming. Some DVD recorders have built-in hard-drives, but they are the more expensive models.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    The upcoming Tivo Series III will work for what you want. It uses cablecard technology to record cable and has dual ATSC tuners for OTA recording. Price has been rumored to be around $700-$800 and $13/month subscription fee.

-Robert

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Just thought about it, a DVD recorder with a hard drive probably won’t record in HD. Scratch my last post...

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

For over the air HD there a couple of PC based solutions. The MyHD (hardware playback) and Fusion (software playback) cards can view and record digital broadcasts. They can work to some extent on cable but are limited by the fact that so much is encrypted and they cannot be equipped with cablecards.