What's new

Question about not using a sub and the bass I am recieving in 5.1 vs stereo. Help... (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
I just upgraded from a pro-logic reciever to a Pioneer VSX-D412 reciver. It is a budget 5.1 reciever but it sounds great except for 1 problem with the bass. I seem to be getting less bass now than I did when I was using my old pro-logic reciever which was also a Pioneer. I have some pretty good sized floor standing speakers as my mains and when listening to a cd or even dvds in stereo I seem to get much more bass than I do when in 5.1 mode with my dvds. I have my mains and my center channel set to large and my rears set to small. The sub is set to 'none' but my crossover is set to 100. Is there a anything I can do to get more bass out of my 5.1 stuff without getting a sub since it isn't i the budget right now? I know my speakers can handle more than I am hearing with my dvds and it seems there should be a way to tell my reciever to kick all the bass to my mains if it is not already doing so. Any help would be appreciated.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
With your speakers set to large, that should do it............hmmmm
Try setting your rears to large too. That shouldn't make a difference, but who knows.

In the receiver's setup somewhere, there's probably a setting to raise volume for each speaker. Default may be 0dB. Try raising the volumes a little, including LFE. That may help.......

Someone else that's more familiar with that receiver may chime in and help more. Good luck!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
My only guess is the possibility that the receiver, when set to "no sub" is dropping anything that is on the .1 channel. A lot of universal players have that problem.

You can prove/disprove that with a test disk like Avia or Chesky's Ultimate DVD which have .1 channel test tones. Perhaps even with a DVD that has THX test tones.

BGL

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
well, I set the sub to on and it sounded worse. So then I turned the crossover off and it really didn't sound any different either. I guess I'm just going to have to live with what I've got for now until I can afford a sub. It still sounds great and is a big improvement over my pro-logic setup, even with a drop in the amount of bass I get. Thanks for all the suggestions you guys gave me and if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. Nice to see another North Carolinian also Ed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks