Question about new tempest

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_Merrow, Feb 1, 2002.

1. David_Merrow

David_Merrow Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I just finished my Adire Alignment Tempest and it sounds great most of the time. This is my first sub, so I am not sure how to describe my problem. To me it sounds like it is starting to bottom out at the higher frequencies and certain parts when it is turned up loud. Right now I am powering it with an old DPL receiver. Could this be causing distortion when I the volume up? Will a better amp, like a samson, be to much power?

thanks

David

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

3. David_Merrow

The receiver is a Pioneer VSX-504S, which is probably 5 years old. It is rated at 110x2 (1Khz, .8%, 8 ohms. I plan on getting a new amp in 2 months.

4. Kerry Hackney

Kerry Hackney Stunt Coordinator

David,
    How high are the frequencies you're talking about? Also, how are you feeding the driver. I am assuming one channel to each VC. Particularly with mass market receivers they rarely deliver the rated power in a practical real world way. I am betting that you have a power problem, not a driver one. Have you checked to see how much the cone is actually moving at the point that you hear the objectionable sounds? I have been suprised by how little my Tempest actually moves compared to the output on music say 30hz and up. Now on LFE it is a little more active for sure. [​IMG]
    I think I might borrow a different amp to test it.

5. David_Merrow

thanks for your replies

I will just keep the volume down until I can get a good amp.