What's new

Question about new tempest (1 Viewer)

David_Merrow

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I just finished my Adire Alignment Tempest and it sounds great most of the time. This is my first sub, so I am not sure how to describe my problem. To me it sounds like it is starting to bottom out at the higher frequencies and certain parts when it is turned up loud. Right now I am powering it with an old DPL receiver. Could this be causing distortion when I the volume up? Will a better amp, like a samson, be to much power?

thanks

David

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Assuming airtight construction, the Tempest in that alignment should be able to take in excess of 300 watts from 13Hz on up without exceeding excursion limits, even more up higher. From your description of the amp, I'd theorize it's clipping, which can sound very similar to what you'd imagine bottoming to sound like.

How many watts is the reciever?

David_Merrow

Stunt Coordinator
The receiver is a Pioneer VSX-504S, which is probably 5 years old. It is rated at 110x2 (1Khz, .8%, 8 ohms. I plan on getting a new amp in 2 months.

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
David,
How high are the frequencies you're talking about? Also, how are you feeding the driver. I am assuming one channel to each VC. Particularly with mass market receivers they rarely deliver the rated power in a practical real world way. I am betting that you have a power problem, not a driver one. Have you checked to see how much the cone is actually moving at the point that you hear the objectionable sounds? I have been suprised by how little my Tempest actually moves compared to the output on music say 30hz and up. Now on LFE it is a little more active for sure. :D
I think I might borrow a different amp to test it.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'd say it's amp clipping, in that case. It probably doesn't like the sub-4ohm dips in impedance, either. Ugrading to something like the QSC RMX850 ($299, 300wpc) would certainly be worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks