Question about new brakes and squealing

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bob_C, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Bob_C

Bob_C Agent

Hey everyone,

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport that I just recently got new brakes on. Now my question is this... is it normal for my brakes to squeal after they were just replaced. They never squealed before I got the new brakes but now they squeal quite frequently. These new brakes seem to stop the car alot better than my old ones, they just seem to make more noise. Should I be worried and make a big stink at the garage where I had the work done or just relax about it.

Thanks,
    Bob

2. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Definately go back to the dealership and kindly request that they make it right. It is not uncommon for new brakes to squeal, but when done right, they don't. As a former Goodyear Tire Technician, I do recall that when turning rotors, if you take a power sander and do a light omni-directional skid on the rotors, it will eliminate the occurance of new brake squeal. Go back to them ASAP to avoid the "you-waited-too-long-so-we-won't-do-jack-w/o-charging-you-extra" scenario.

3. Bob_C

Bob_C Agent

That's what I figured. I just didn't want to look silly when I asked them to fix something that wasn't broken. Thanks!

4. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

thats right[​IMG]

5. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Ford brakes are squeaky, it is one of those weird universal automotive truths. A non-directional cut with the proper grade disc should eliminate this noise for a limited time. My 02 still squeals on the right side.

6. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

They are probably going to tell you that they are semi metallic pads and squeaking is normal.

7. Jeff Perry

Jeff Perry Stunt Coordinator

Yes they will tell you that it is normal and treat you like you're an idiot for even asking. Every brake job I've ever had done squeaked after the fact and that's the line they always gave me. I just started doing all my brake work myself. Mine have never squeaked when freshly replaced. Why, I have no idea. I just replace the pads, have the rotors turned, and put it all back together. Perhaps the "professionals" do it "better" and that's why they always squeak.

8. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I own two older Fords and never had one of those "universal automotive truths" squeals.........

There are anti-squeal coatings that are supposed to be put on the caliper/pad backing plates to prevent squeal. Other than the coating not being applied properly, sound like you didn't get a good rotor turn..........

It is really very simple to do a brake job and NOT get squeal. The place you used just didn't do any "extra" and most likely didn't do the "necessary" either..........

9. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

I've done two DIY brake jobs in the past year. One was a complete rotor and brake pad change on all 4 corners of my passat and the other was just brake pads replacement on a dodge caravan. I have not experienced any squealing since replacing the pads on either car. I used a commercially available anti-squeal spray on the back of the pads just as Donny mentioned. The spray also acts as an adhesive to keep the pads against the calipers.

Maybe the mechanic that performed the brake job doesn't or didn't use this compound.