Question about my subwoofer, simple question I think...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd stone, Dec 17, 2001.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

I have a powered subwoofer, connected using a coax. How come I have to crank the volume up real quick, so the bass kicks in, then lower it to my normal setting? If I dont bring it to a certain volume the bass does not turn on.

2. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

The powersupply on your sub probably has a "sleep mode" circuit and turns the sub off while it's not in use. The problem seems to be that your sub just doesn't know that there's bass being sent to it because the LFE signal coming from the receiver is turned down so low. Try raising the LFE/sub level on your reciever (and turn down the level on the sub). That should fix it. Or, you can just turn the sleep mode off if your sub has that switch.

3. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Hm I'll have to test it out, I saw it had a switch in the middle. it has a on, auto, off setting. It was on middle, so i put it to ON. Let's see what happens.

4. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

I had the same issue with my SVS 25-31PC and, on the recommendation of SVS-Ron, just leave it on all the time.

5. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Yep, that's what's causing your problem. Raise the level on your receiver's LFE or simply turn the switch on the sub to "On". Either will fix your problem.

6. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

yikes, now when I just leave it on, it goes BOOM when i turn the tv on [​IMG]

7. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

todd,

You need to use your receiver's speaker level adjustment facilities (pink noise for adjusting level of each speaker including the sub).

Or, go buy a Radio Shack SPL meter and a setup DVD (AVIA or VE) and use these to set the correct levels of all your speakers including the sub.

Use the Search command and FAQ here to find references on how to do this.

BruceD