What's new

question about my older cd player (1 Viewer)

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i have a denon dcd 1420 cd player that i bought back in 1990. at the time, as far as i know, it was only one or two models down from their top of the line player, and originally cost somewhere in the $600-$700 dollar area. i'm not sure of the actual cost, as i bought mine as b-stock at a greatly reduced price.

lately it has been more prone to errors, skipping frequently on some discs, and i'm assuming that it probably needs a new laser. i'd like to hear from people who are familier with this model whether it is good enough soundwise to have repaired, or have there been enough improvements in technology that newer players would leave it in the dust? i guess i'm leaning toward keeping it, as it seems to me to be a very good player.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I suspect the laser is dying on your player, but you could try a lens cleaner as a last ditch effort. CD player technology has changed significantly since 1990, so I feel you would be well served to look at current players. Depending on your budget, I would say that you won't regret it. If you are interested in pursuing a new player, I and others here could offer suggestions for models to consider if you state your budget.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
somebody must have experience with this player. from the little i've found on the web about it, it seems to be highly regarded as to sound quality, possibly even rivalling the players of today. but since it's the only player i've ever owned, i'd love to hear some other opinions.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Robert, you ought to post your question on the Digital Drive board on www.audioasylum.com . I am quite certain, however, that there are a number of current players that will outperform your Denon. Just my opinion, of course. Mass-market players from Best Buy or Circuit City are probably inferior to your Denon player, but players at $500 and up should best your player.

PaulG

Stunt Coordinator
I have an old Pioneer CD player that starts "skipping" every year or so. I found the rails to be dry, and I use a q-tip that I put a drop of 3in1 oil on and dab the rails with it. These are metal rails, and I use very little oil. I then put in a long disc and go between the first and last track a few times to excersice it. Works fine after doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks