Question about my new Sony KF-60WE610

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mark>G, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Mark>G

Mark>G Auditioning

Hello everyone, first time here and my first thread.

I recently purchased the Sony 60 inch for around $3499.00 for the upcoming Football season and Madden 2005. My sofa is about 9 feet away from the TV. The first movie I watched was "Finding Nemo" and it looked great, but I noticed that when watching movies like " The fast and the furious" on DVD that the pixels are visible, which really ticks me off. Watching in HD, like Discovery in HD I don't notice the pixels and the picture is amazing. I was thinking about returning the TV for the new 61 inch Samsung because I heard that the pixels are less noticeable, but it costs about a grand more and I am still in college. So are the pixels on my Sony when watching DVD's something that I have to live with if I decide to keep the TV, or should I upgrade to a DLP like a Samsung? Thanks

2. John S

John S Producer

Where does the HD that looks fine come from? Sat? OTA BoX, Cable?, the TV's internal tuner?

3. Mark>G

Mark>G Auditioning

Hughs receiver, Direct Tv. Thanks

4. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

I suspect it's the quality of the transfer of The Fast and the Furious.
    Some DVD transfers are just plain lousy, and you have noticed that other DVD's look ok, and your HD signal is great.
    With HD, your set is receiving more info than DVD, and if the DVD is of poor quality, or your Sat signal for that matter, the shear size of the screen is going to magnify all the defects in the signal it receives.
    The saying goes..
    Garbage in, garbage out.
    Vb

5. Mark>G

Mark>G Auditioning

I have a Toshiba-SD4700 DVD player. I had it for a couple of years now. I recently purchased the new Samsung DVD player with the DVI input, which has the 1080i mode. I hooked it up to the Sony TV using a monster DVI cable and the picture looked horrible compared to the Toshiba so I returned it. Do you think the Denon-2200 DVD players, which costs around 500 dollars would be a big upgrade?

6. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

I prefer the panny RP91.
    It has the Faroudja chip. It will sacle the picture beautifully.
    I don't like DVI for the reason you mentioned. Sometimes it just looks not so good. Also, using DVI, you loose all control adjustments for the picture. I hate that!
    Try hooking it up thru component next time. See what you think.
    Vb

7. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I have the Denon 2200 and it's a great player. It's no doubt that you are looking for a high end player. You can't go wrong with the 2200. The picture looks awesome and it plays anything.

The big thing that I've notice is picture details and you don't see the frame freeze when the player switch to the other layer on the dvd.

I took it over and hook it up to their projector and they were amazed how it looked and bought one the next day.

It's worth every penny.