What's new

Question about my new Onkyo 595 (1 Viewer)

Sonny T

Auditioning
I have just received my Onkyo 595 and in the process of setting it up. My sat receiver has analog(RCA type) audio/video outputs and a coax out to TV. I have two questions. First if I connect the analog audio outs to the receiver in, will I get DPL II or do I have to have a digital input to get DPL II. Second, if I put the coax out from the sat. receiver to the digital coax in on the receiver, can I use a video cable to the tv and get a digital audio signal. As you can tell I'm kinda new at this game, but would like to thank members of this board for turning me on to the Onkyo 595 from J&R for $359.99. Including shipping this saved me about $150.00 from my local CC store.

Thomas B

Agent
First if I connect the analog audio outs to the receiver in, will I get DPL II or do I have to have a digital input to get DPL II?
Yes, you will get DPL II by way of the analog inputs to the 595. (You can also get DPL II from your VCR's analog outputs to the 595.) However, if your satellite receiver has a digital output, then you should use that for Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.
If I put the coax out from the sat. receiver to the digital coax in on the receiver, can I use a video cable to the tv and get a digital audio signal?
Not sure if I follow you here. If you have an RF coax connection from the sat. receiver for video, then you won't get digital audio from that. If your coax output from the sat. receiver is a digital coax output, then you can connect that straight to the 595 and get Dolby Digital sound. Perhaps someone else can help you better on the sat. receiver's outputs, since I only have cable!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks