What's new

Question about my Mits WS65869.... (1 Viewer)

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
When I was watching The Panic Room lastnight (this is with most regular movies too, not Monsters Inc. type), the movie can tend to look pixelized/grainy/I don't know what. It's clear when the objects are moving, but when the picture is kinda still, and there isn't much action on the screen, it looks like when you pause the movie. You can see the individual pixels and color differences, damn this is hard to explain. I don't sit very far from the TV right now due to the setup, when I move in the new house it will be further back from the TV, so I won't notice it as much, when I stand away from the TV, it looks excellent. It's like looking at your monitor in a low resolution I guess you can put it. Is there a way to up the resolution on the WS-65869? When the TV turns on and the DVD player sends the signal it says "480p Standard", is there another 480p setting?

Maybe I'm just super anal and really need to tweak the TV or something, please some one assure me that it's normal and I need to relax and enjoy it more, maybe I set my expectations too high on a HDTV over my RPTV?

Thanks in advance.

John Royster

Screenwriter
sounds like too much sharpness and SVM to me.

turn off SVM and set your sharpness around center and give it a shot.

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
SVM=Scan Velocity Modulation. It is a cheme many manufacturers have of adding an artifical "edge" to vertical edges, in the belief that many users will think the picture is "sharper." It often results in an artifical edge, especially where one dark surface meets a lighter one. Then, to add to the problem, some DVD masters add there own "edge enhancement," and so you end up with way, way too much of what is probably not a good thing, tobegin with. On a much smaller set, it is not bad. on bigger sets.... OUCH.

-Bruce

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
How do I turn that off? Is it a function on the TV or DVD player? I have the Denon DVD 1600.

Thanks in advance guys!

Real Name
stephenrabinowitz
I read somewhere that VSM cannot be turned off on last years Mits via the simple menu but with this years the can,

John Royster

Screenwriter
you should be able to...

You are entering the service menu. don't touch any buttons if you don't know what they do. Don't press 3 or 4 while in the menu.

press menu 0157
press video button to scroll to 52 VM
use your arrow(adjust) buttons to lower it to 0 or 1.
press enter to save.

At anytime you can press cancel on remote to say "get me outta here without saving". These settings are individual for 480i, 480p and 1080i.

But also make sure you are justing a progressive DVD player in that mode (it sounds like you are). Some DVDs have grain in them as it comes from the film - BUT SVM and a high sharpness can make it look poor.

good luck, check out da spot for tons of mitsubishi information.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks