Question about my HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Theodore, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Theodore

Theodore Auditioning

I have a Sony Wega XBR 450 t.v. I was watching a anamorphic DVD and I noticed that there were black bars on the screen. I set the dvd player to 16:9. Should I set it to full screen when watching anamorphic dvd's. Sorry if this is the wrong forum. Thanks!

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Since the TV is not widescreen, you will see black bars no matter what. I don't have a WEGA, so I can't tell you the setting, but I know there is some setting for 16:9 material so you don't have to worry about downconversion artifacts

3. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

What aspect ratio is the DVD? Are the bars on the top and bottom, or the sides? I'm guessing it's 2.35:1 or 1.85:1 aspect ratio. With these there will be black bars on the top and bottom (larger bars with 2.35:1)

Peter

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Moving this to Home Theater Basics.
    M.

5. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Even if you did have a 16:9 TV, you would still get black bars (albeit smaller ones). Since your set is 4:3, set your DVD player for a 4:3 set. If you have a progressive DVD player, be sure to use the progressive video output... it will give you the best picture on the Wega.

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Remember, your XBR compresses the entire raster into 16:9 mode when it detects an anamorphic or HD signal. Given the set's 4:3 screen, you'll continue to see the black bars. No way around it.

As was mentioned, make sure your DVD player is outputting at 16:9. No further adjustments will be necessary.