What's new

Question about my denon 4802 (1 Viewer)

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
It seems that in movies this receiver doesn't get very loud. It's loud but not real loud, it seemed as my old $500 dollar sony receiver did a better job with movies. Whats the problem here? Do I have something set wrong? I really don't know much about the receiver but please let me know what is going on. I've yet to be very impressed with this.

RandyRush

Stunt Coordinator
I would guess that you definitely have something either hooked up wrong or you haven't completed the setup steps; I've had my 4802 for 2 weeks and have yet to crank it up much---movies are fantastic and loud at far less volume than my old Onkyo; I would suggest you repeat the setup procedures and double check all your connections; then calibrate using Avia or Essentials. Good luck

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Are you in a large room?
With what source is this happening, or is it all?
Main things to do cocnerning this would be to make sure setup is done correctly, all connections correct and secure, setup options especially Channel level (after calibration), and speaker distances are done.
On my 4802 I am still yet to do a real clibration with an SPL meter (please, don't hate me :D ), but only have done a THX optimode so far. At this point on DVDs a volume level for me of -10 is extremely loud. -15 is more of a normal listening level. TV gets into the low -20s high -teens range for good listening for me.

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
I think i figured out the problem. For now I only have a 5.1 setup and I had my rears connected to the SR outputs. I changed them to the surround left and surround rights, now they sound much better. Also the display says dolby digital now instead of surround 6.1. Now I think I have it setup correctly.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
also be mindful of the dinamic compression
I think on Denon receivers it is on by default, although not at a high level. turn it off. now.

Dave Pobuda

Stunt Coordinator
Dynamic compression ?..........what is this and how do you shut it off ?......I have never heard of this feature.

Doug_NHT

Stunt Coordinator
Ummm, I read the manual and have had no setup problems. The manual will answer all of your questions even if it is worded a little weird in places.

Yogi

Screenwriter
DCM is for late night viewing. In the highest level it compresses the dynamic range by as much as 30 db (thats considerable). If every thing is properly calibrated and setup then the 4802 should be able to play to theater levels in your mid-large theater room without a problem. After all its THX-Ultra certified and that one of the conditions to be met in order to be certified, i.e, it should be able to play at reference levels in mid-large rooms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks