What's new

Question about my brand new HD-A1 (1 Viewer)

Ed Faver

Second Unit
OK-

Bought my HD-A1 yesterday & set it up today. I have a 42" Hitachi Ultravision WITHOUT HDMI, but I was still impressed when watching the HD DVD of Apollo 13. I'll try an SD DVD tomorrow & will have a new monitor before Thanksgiving (that was already in the works).

Here's my question: How do I set bookmarks? I can't find anything in the manual about this, but I understand I should be able to do this.

A happy PS-Logitech had the HD-A1's remote on their Harmony website & I was able to download the info into my 880!

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe
The bookmark feature is up to the studios so some HD DVD movies will have the feature and some will not. To do a bookmark while watching a movie bring up the menu and you do it from there. I assume you're using component video input to your hdtv and you have the HD-A1 set to output 1080i. :)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Another way to find out if your DVD has the bookmark options, is to press one of the Alphabet Keys "A, B , C, or D", bottom rectangle 4-buttons on the remote. The manual states if you have the bookmark function, one of these keys will activated.

The only HD DVD that I have that includes the bookmark option is "The Phantom of the Opera" (WB). While I was playing the HD DVD for the first time, I just pressed those keys and found ...

"A" = Zoom function
"B" = Bookmark options.
"C" = NA
"D" = NA

Now, ... playing the back the bookmark menu is found in the Menu - Scene Selections, as RobertDW posted above. With this HD DVD, besides viewing your bookmarks, you can delete them from the bookmark menu.

Hopefully, the HD DVD MFG's will start utilizing the bookmark options as a standard feature.

Phil

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Bookmark is activated for pretty much all Warner titles (and I think they all use the B key). Universal and Paramount haven't yet done so, but one of the forthcoming Universal titles has been announced as having it.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply. I was watching Apollo 13, a Universal title, when trying to find the bookmark. You have all helped give me the answer I needed.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Note that the A1 does not do upconversion of SD titles over component if there is macrovision protection. For comparison sake you could take a short movie that fits into a single DVD-+R and use one of the copy programs to burn it to a disc, then play both the original with no upconversion and the copy with upconversion to see if there is a difference.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Sami-

Thanks. I will try that when I return from vacation. I have to abandon my toy for a week at the Outer Banks. Like I'm complaining...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks