Question about Multi-Region DVD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by David*P, Jun 29, 2004.

1. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    I have a Pioneer DV-C302D 3 disc DVD player. I've been wanting to purchase the Japanese release of Bewitched on DVD but realize that it is region 2 so I was looking to see what the specs on my player were.

I found this info on www.mindlogic.com:

3 DVD or CD Changer with DVD/VCD/CD/CD-R Playback!

The Pioneer DV-C302D Region-free DVD Player is Region Free. This Multisystem Region Free model is configured for worldwide playback, so it supports all 1-6 regions in both PAL and NTSC standards. This model comes with a 3 DISC Changer, allowing you to view 3 DVDs or listen to 3 CDs consecutively.

Please note that although this and all our region-free DVD players will play all discs from anywhere in the world, in order to watch DVDs originating from PAL regions, you will need either a multisystem television or a PAL to NTSC converter.
    Is it true that all though the DVD player will play the disc the television set has to be "multisystem"?

2. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

It sounds like that player is region-free, but won't covert PAL-NTSC. That means that you won't be able to watch PAL discs unless your monitor can accept a PAL signal (which most don't).

DVDs from Japan, Korea and Hong Kong are NTSC, however, and should play just fine. You'll have to be careful when ordering and ensure that the discs are in fact NTSC.

If you're interested, there are several players out there that are both region-free and do convert PAL-NTSC.

The recently discontinued Toshiba 4900 can still be found here and there. It's a solid player and performs excellent PAL-NTSC conversion and can be found in the $100 range.

A cheaper option is to pick up one of the Cyberhome players, which run about $40.

3. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    Thanks Andrew!

I know of other's who have ordered these BW discs that have been able to watch them fine on their TVs so I think that mine will be just fine.

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Cambridge Audio's 540D does PAL>NTSC and NTSC>PAL and is region free out of the box (at least mine is).