question about mp3.com

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Alex-C, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

This site used to be a site filled with amateur/inde/d.i.y. artists that you could freely stream covering all genres...and there was some good stuff on there.

Anyway, I haven't been there in a while and it seems that it has been sold/bought out/transformed into a legit music site (i.e. focusing on popular artists etc.).

Does anyone know if the old style mp3.com exists in some kind of form ?

I particuraly like the artist Bassic and I have purchased some of his CDs. I am not looking for his website, I have it and that, I just wondered does anyone know if the old mp3.com exists somewhere ?

2. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

3. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but here's another alternative (similar) site which you might enjoy:

http://www.soundclick.com/

I've discovered a few pretty good nuggets there.

4. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Soundclick seems to be a lighter version, but nearly the same as what I am talking about.

shoutcast appears to link to various streaming audio stations, whereas soundclick is a repository for all kinds of music.

the beauty of the old mp3.com and soundclick (i think) is the better quality music rose to the top via ratings and such, and I have to say, much of it was/is pretty darn good.

maybe its my old college radio station ethic coming through; I like seeing bands in their infancy come up with inpsiration to make themselves better. It's also the reason why I love the early stuff from a number of bands, like R.E.M. those first 4 or 5 albums were awesome and yes they were striking gold along the way, but after the WB deal, it became sort of stale. You could say the same, IMHO, about any number of bands from that era, the cure, the police, the cars, joe jackson, etc. etc.

anyway, I digress.