Question about movies mastered in HD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris larralde, Sep 4, 2002.

1. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

I've read a lot of things regarding the release of movies. Often times I'll hear the term "we struck a new HD master that was converted down for the DVD release".

Does that mean that when the new standard becomes available, studios can simply release HD versions without any further hassles?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

In theory, yep.

-Vince

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    But the HD master has to be pretty good to look good on HD-DVD.

For example, Lawrence of Arabia will still have the wrong color timing on HD-DVD if Columbia doesn't re-time it on that format.

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Not according to a Fox executive talking to WSR about release to the D-VHS/D-Theater HD format (so far the only HD format that comes fairly close to the D-5 digital master). He said that many HD masters (including 1080p) that he's aware of were created only for 480 NTSC and 525 PAL resolution DVD downconversion in mind and are in no shape to be transferred to HD home video (ie they wouldn't look very good due to the fact 480 rez. video can hide numerous flaws).

I don't know if that means completely new film-to-video HD transfers are necessary or if they can bring some of these current masters up to speed.

Certainly if 20x9 enhanced widescreen HD-DVDs are in the cards then new transfers would have to be performed anyway.

Dan