question about mounting resilient channel on ceiling

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike D., Mar 1, 2005.

1. Mike D.

Mike D. Stunt Coordinator

I bought a case of Auralex RC-8 Resilient Channel,but it didn't come with any instructions for mounting on the ceiling. Here is the instructions that are on the website:

http://truesoundcontrol.com/products/RC824.html

Does anyone have any close-up pictures of mounting this stuff on the ceiling?

Thanks!
    Mike

2. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

use drywall screws, one on each side of the HC, so a total of 2 per joist, DO NOT NAIL IT UP, it will pull down over time if you use nails, use 1 1/4 inch screws or longer if you like, if you snap the head off of a screw run another one in next to it..... something like this, the = signs represent the floor joists, sorry that wacky lil drawing wont quite come out right, but you get the idea oh and space them on 16 inch centers too, just like wall studs

[]
    .[].===============================
    []
    []
    []
    .[].================================
    []

3. Mike D.

Travis,
    Thanks for the reply... I'm trying to figure out your ascii art, I think I get it but I understand it's a tough one to draw...

If you look at this image, could I just simply "rotate" this in my head and pretend that the stud is acually a joist? It seems like the RC will have a tendency to hang down, since there would be screws only on one side... Especially once the weight of a layer or 2 of drywall is on there.

[​IMG]

4. Travis_R

yes that is exactly right mike, however the kind that goes on the ceiling has a lip on both sides so you can put a screw on both sides of the channel, the kind pictured there is for walls only, it will look like a top hat when you look at the end of it, hence the nickname Hat Channel

this should help more

5. Mike D.

Ahh, so I bought the wrong kind for what I wanted to do! The truesoundcontrol article for Auralex RC-8 says that the product is for walls or ceilings, it didn't specify that I needed a different product for ceilings...

Now I have to figure out how to break the news to my wife! haha... Or figure out how to use this on the ceiling.

6. Travis_R

I worked commercial construction for 4 years as a carpenter and we used hat channel all the time in schools and office's and I have never seen one put on a cieling that only used a screw on one side, not saying that it wont work, I just havent seen that before, you might want to contact the manufacturer, it could be that what you have has a higher tensil strength than what I have commonly used

7. Mike D.

Thanks again Travis. I will contact them and see what they say.. I was thinking about "remanufacturing" the RC-8 by bending the little tab at the top and screwing through both sides, it would be easy enough but I was afraid I'd lose the benefit of even HAVING RC if I did that.. I'll let you know what I hear from them. I probably should just bite the bullet and buy something made specifically for the ceiling...

8. Bryce_H

Bryce_H Stunt Coordinator

I used RSIC-1 clips on half of my ceiling. They are from Pac-International . I have the set-up on my walls and half my ceiling. The front half is a suspended ceiling secured with the RSIC-DC04x2. All the clips are secured with 2.5 inch wood screws. The ceiling will have 5/8 inch firerated drywall.

As a side note - I have not hard good business dealing with their main distributor Professional Accoustics.