Question about motherboards...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Against my better judgement, I decided to build my own computer... so I took apart one that I built a couple of years ago and noticed some pins on the mobo that read "chassis fan" and "power fan". They are three pronged pins that stick straight out of the mobo. What are these used for? I know you use a "cpu fan" set for the fan atop the cpu but I don't recall ever using the others. Any help is appreciated!

2. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

You may be able to find information on your specific MOBO at motherboard.org. Manuals, &c. will tell you what you're looking at. Hope this helps.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Those are power source for fans, and also a way for the motherboard BIOS and also Windows applications to monitor the fan's RPM through software. I.e. many cases these days have fan cutouts in them that you can hook up a fan to. Some power supplies also come with a fan on the underside (NTX factor) and they have a 3-prong plug coming out with the usual power leads that you'd plug into the 3-prong header in the motherboard. You don't have to use the power supply fan with the header labelled "power supply" but they tend to be labelled as such just based on their location on the motherboard. I.e. my EPoX 8kha+ has those same 3 headers on the motherboard. When you buy a fan for your case, you can buy a fan with the 3-pin connector used to connect to the motherboard or you can buy the one with the 4-pin connector you hook directly to the +12v from the PS, although you wont be able to monitor the RPM that way. And of course, not all motherboards monitor all the headers on the motherboard, i.e. the EPoX one I have will monitor the CPU fan, and the "chassis" fan, not the one labeled "power fan" so right now I have my power supply fan hooked up to the "chassis" fan so I can monitor the RPM through software....

Jay