Question about Morrowind

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I realize that there's an official discussion thread, but want to aviod game spoilers. Actually, I have two questions:

If you had to compare Morrowind to another RPG, which would it be (one of the FF games, Torment, etc)?

and

PC or Xbox? I'm sure that my PC can handle it, so are there any advantages to either that I should know about?

2. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    It can't be compared to the "spikey haired" Japanese rpg's. They run on rails and are linear. Not any worse or better but, different.

This rpg reminded me of my days playing the older Ultima series of games.

As for Xbox/PC. That's up to you. They both have their strong points but, IMHO; if you have the power, buy the pc version. It already has a patch out that fixes some of the bugs and, adds a much needed healthbar to enemies. That's a gripe I've read NUMEROUS times. Now it's fixed. But only on the pc. You'll get further draw distance, (if your rig can run it) and much higher resolutions. You also get the construction set to add whatever you like to the already massive game. I've personally thought of a few cool dungeons I'd like to add but, I can't because I have the Xbox version.

Speaking of which, it has it's own positive qualities. In my opinion, it's pretty hard to beat sitting on the couch in front of a 60" monitor, running all the sound through a DD/DTS compatible home theater system that also sports an SVS 16-46pc with upgraded driver.

3. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

I'd have to go with the Xbox version just because of the bigger screen and the 5.1 sound. Also, there's no need to upgrade an expensive PC, but that depends on your system. And there's nothing wrong with sitting on the couch. [​IMG]
    What would I compare it to? It gives me a bit of the old "Betrayal at Krondor" feeling, actually. There's more freedom, though.

4. Kraig Lang

Kraig Lang Stunt Coordinator

Another really good comparison would have been if there had been a sharper, better playing, more engrossing, much, much, much, better looking Ultima IX.

It's too bad that Origin couldn't pull it off like Bethesda did.

Kraig

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Interesting set of comparissons. I enjoyed Krondor, and never really got into Ultima. Actually leaning towards the Xbox, just because playing on the 32" TV with 5.1 might beat out the ability to patch and add mods. We'll see what happens though-might have to give it a rent first-and should really finish some of the games that I've already started before buying more...

6. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

Renting is a good idea. Many people will find Morrowind boring. Spending five bucks to save seventy is a good plan, especially when dealing with one of these "love it or hate it" games.

7. Craig A

Craig A Stunt Coordinator

oooh... older Ultimas. Maybe an X-Box will be in my future after all.

8. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

There is nothing like Tamriel. Bethesda Softworks puts out only a few games as they are one of the only independent game publishers left. Yet what they do put out is outstanding. Check old reviews of "Daggerfall" for an idea. The Tamriel world itself is beautiful yet eerily real. The customization, plot, character generation, and immersion in Bethsoft's RPGs are the best in the business. There are bugs to be sure but The Elder Scrolls are a work of love done by a small shop bent on a quality RPG experience.

Morrowind is trecherous, twisted, and open-ended. There are zillions of dungeons but even more plotting and intrigue then I thought possilble. It's a very adult RPG (and I dont mean that in a sex/language/violence way).