Question About MGM/UA DVD's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Von Pein, Feb 22, 2002.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I've recently bought an MGM/UA disc with the "Vintage Classics" packaging (12 Angry Men). The lack of any paper enclosures has made me wonder: Did I get rooked?!

Or do all "VC" titles lack printed materials?

Thank you.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

MGM has killed inserts for most of their cheap titles. Another way to save money like omitting English subtitles.

Too bad, they used to include 8 page booklets in everything

3. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    Many MGM discs come without leaflets, not just the Vintage Classics, It's a Mad,...World for example. It really annoys me. Even though the VCs are at reasonable prices I always feel short changed if I don't get a leaflet.

4. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Thanks for the info. I'm glad that it's NOT just my discs that are enclosure-less! :b
    However, there are a lot of MGM titles with nice printed supplements, such as WarGames, Thelma & Louise, and When Harry Met Sally (informative booklets in all of these).
    And all of these would fall into the "cheap" category too!
    In fact, in researching my MGM titles, I find that nearly all of them were rather inexpensive! How does MGM put these out so cheaply, time and time again? It's not that they're crummy pictures, either! All I've mentioned are very good (IMO).....oh, I almost forgot The Apartment, the Best Picture Oscar Winner of 1960, which I got for the incredibly low, low price of $9.90!!
    The Apt. is a "VC". No booklet in that one either. [​IMG]
    The ONLY MGM's that I have without enclosures are "VC" selections.

5. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Not a long time ago MGM was one of the worst studios out there for DVD, and in particular they got ridiculed for listing collective booklet as an extra. I have to wonder if all this riduculing led MGM to believe booklets or leaflets were not wanted at all? Personally I liked their booklets, in general I prefer booklets/leaflets to text screens on the DVD, as they are much easier to read. Particularly if there is a lot of text. A classic example of why that can be annoying is the multimedia presentation on the Robocop Criterion disc. Now this presentation includes moving pictures so obviously they could not print it. But I spent almost an hour going through that, when I suddenly mispressed and aborted the presentation. I could not be bothered to start all over again, as I would have to be pressing next a lot to get to the point where I accidentaly let off. On laserdisc this was easier as you could skip pages faster, on DVD, you're stuck with clicking next to get to the point you want to get. But still, printed text over DVD screens are much prefered to me at least. Another advantage of the leaflets are if the chapter listing is printed on the leaflet. if I for some reason want to skip chapters around for a little bit to rewatch a certain scene, I always check the leaflet before scene selections, to me that is a lot better. It seems though that a lot of people do not like leaflets, and claim that such stuff should be on the disc instead. I wonder if any of these people actually *read* the text, or if they just have an idea about "interactivity" etc are fancier than dumb old paper...

6. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

I was really shocked when my copy of Quigley Down Under came with a chapter list (aka leaflet) since I thought that they werent doing that anymore. I'm not sure how it is determined which releases get a leaflet and which do not.
    MGM is really starting to have a soft spot in my heart :b. Im starting to be more impressed with their catalog output and rock bottom prices.
    My copy of Ken Burn's Mark Twain (a PBS/WB release) didnt come with a leaflet either. So MGM isnt the only one doing it. [​IMG]
    I know others redo cover art, does anyone do homeade booklets for their booklet-less discs??