Question about max SPL at tuning frequency

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I tried to post this earlier but the server was down and I lost it. What limits the max SPL output of a sub at the tuning frequency. For example, with a high powered amp(500 watts)would a Tempest bottom out at its tuning frequency with enough power or would it simply go as loud as the amp would allow?

2. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Well at tuning the sub's excursion drops dramatically as the port is mostly creating the sound. My sub moves very little at tuning but you could shoot a nerf ball out of the port. x-max is actually higher at say 30hz. The port has a 18db rolloff lowpass and high pass which is why a ported cabinet essentially works as a sealed enclosure above tuning. also a ported sub is usaully 3-10db more effecient than the same sub in a sealed enclosure at the tuning frequency as long as tuning is close to fs. now below tuning the sub has a very steep rolloff and as the woofer and port shift out of phase excursion rises dramatically. In a lot of cases a sealed and a ported sub have close -10db figures but the -3db output can usually be an octave apart.