Question about losing files when loading XP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne A. Pflughaupt, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hello everyone,

I got Windows XP for Christmas. We researched and found that it is best to get the “full” version – what you would install on a brand-new computer, and not merely the “upgrade” version (that would convert ME to XP, for instance).

Anyway, my question: I have my operating system on a 10 gig C drive, and all my files are on a D and E drive (i.e., a partitioned 40 gig drive). Since my files are on a different hard drive from the operating system, will the files be safe there when we load XP? Or should I back them all up?

Hope this makes sense – I know just enough about computers to keep from blowing them up!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

The files should be fine if you do everything right. Backups are always a good thing to have though.

BTW you can buy the upgrade version and use it to do a clean install if you own a previous version of Windows.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Just make sure that you format the correct partition on the correct drive and everything will come out fine.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Thanks for the info, guys!

Wayne