Question about Linear PCM

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bradley C, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Bradley C

Bradley C Auditioning

I got a package deal for an Integra dtr-7.2 reciever and a dpc-5.2 dvd changer.

On the dvd changer audio setting it has the linear pcm setting for 96khz->48khz or 96->96khz

It says for 96->48..Even in case of 96khz digital signal, the dvd changer will deliver the 48 khz signal out.

and for...

96->96..In case of 96khz digital signal, the dvd changer will deliver 96khz signal out. In this case, your reciever should control 96khz signal.

Duh...what does this mean? Which signal (would)should) be used. Does it matter.

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Bradley,

This has to do only with discs that are recorded with 24bit/96K linear PCM -- there are very few discs that deliver this signal to begin with.

For discs that do deliver 24bit/96K, the 96k->48k setting will downsample from 96K to 48K over the digital output.

For the 96K -> 96K setting, 24bit/96K material will be delivered unaltered.

In your case, and given the vintage of your gear, it will be safe to set for 96 -> 96.

Hope this helped.

Regards,

3. Bradley C

Bradley C Auditioning

Yes, thanks. I love the receiver, but this dvd changer is going going gone! There are no audio or video adjustments. Pop in a dvd and hope it plays satisfactory. Even my 3 year old sony has 5 different picture options.