Question about line doublers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JJR512, Oct 27, 2002.

1. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Between the iScan Pro and V2, which is better? Are either better than the line doubler that comes in new Sony XBR800-series TVs?

2. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Clarification: I'm still assembling my system and don't yet have many of the major pieces, including the TV and DVD player. I'm obtaining a Sony 9000ES DVD player, and have so far been planning for a new (800-series) Sony XBR TV, 36" (or larger). I'm inquiring about line doublers for getting the best possible image on screen for anything other than progressive DVDs, such as non-progressive DVDs, LDs, cable, etc. I know the Sony XBR series includes a line doubler (that's the DRC, right?), but am wondering if a separate unit might be any better.

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The iScan Pro is the higher level model, and that one is probably better than the XBR800's internal scaler, though the difference isn't huge.

The DRC is far getter this generation than the original ones.

The 9000ES has the chroma bug and the only 3 reasons to get it are:

1. Love Sony
    2. Can get it for really really really cheap
    3. Love SACD, don't care about CD and DVD performance

4. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Yep, love Sony, yep, can get it for cheap (compared to original new prices), plus the ommitted reason that it's still one of the better DVD players. [​IMG] Actually don't care at all about SACD performance, only DVD.
    Question: After looking at the Silicon Image website, I see another model, the iScan Ultra. In some places, they describe this model as their best, but in some other places, the Pro is described as the best. Which is it?
    Also, in the description for the Ultra, this feature is mentioned: "Vertical chroma filter for removal of MPEG-decoder chroma artifacts" Now is that something that will somehow remove the effects of the chroma bug from the output of players so afflicted?

5. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Since I assume you'll have a progressive scan DVD player, there is no real point in getting the Iscan Pro.

It adds picture controls and a component input over ther V2, neither of which should be necessary since the Sony has multiple memories, and you won't be using it for DVDs (the software, itself doesn't need to be "progressive"-- though make sure to get a DVD player that does a good job de-interlacing video.)

If you want to also run a DVD player through the Iscan though, for whatever reason (it does a nice job on video; much better than the Genesis chip), then go with the Pro.

I use a Toshiba SD-6200 for my DVD and an Iscan V2 for my LD and VCR.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make for you. I have an X81 Toshiba, which has a terrible line doubler, the Sony, being so much newer, is likely pretty decent. You can always buy one used and then re-sell if you don't need it. They're really easy to sell. I orignally bought a Pro and then sold it for the V2 instead.