What's new

Question about line doubler and 3:2 pulldown on Toshiba 42HDX82 (1 Viewer)

KennB

Grip
Ok i'm still new at all this.Is the line doubler and 3:2 pulldown is a automatic setting depending on the source? For example is it being used when playing progressive scan sources?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Not 100% sure about that Tosh, but generally, TV's handle the linedoubling automatically--and 3:2 pulldown is film-mode deinterlacing (or linedoubling) for NTSC sources.

For sources that are already progressive, eg. prog scan DVD player, the TV doesn't do any linedoubling/deinterlacing. It's already done at the source.

_Man_

greg_t

Screenwriter
The toshiba, and most other RPTV's, actually still use the line doubler even if your source is progressive scan already. If you use a progressive scan dvd player to your Toshiba, you input 480p. The toshiba line doubler then upconverts this to 540p. Unfortunatly, it introduces some artificats in so doing, but from what I have read, this years toshiba's do a better job of it than last years. To my knowledge, the only sets that allow 480p to pass through without additional upconversion by the line doubler are Pioneer, Mitsubishi, and Panasonic. So yes, the line doubler is activly upconverting even if you are using a progressive scan dvd player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks