What's new

Question about leaving sub on all the time.... (1 Viewer)

Matt*B

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

Quick question --

I have a 150W sub that's perfect for my theater. It's an "auto-on" sub -- so there is a switch with "off" and "auto-on" as options. Up 'till now, I have always kept it off, and then turned it on when i want to watch a movie... It's a pain though.... My questions is -- what, if any, downsides are there with leaving it always on? How much power will it use in a dormant state? That is, i wonder how much a month it would cost to keep it always on.... It's only used about once a week....

Thanks

Matt

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Matt,

This is far from my expertise, and I can't answer your question precisely, but I'll tell you what I know (or think I know in this case).

Leaving it in the auto position should not hurt the sub at all (in case that was one of your concerns).

As to how much power is used in stand by mode, I don't think it's very much at all. If you are only using the sub once a week, turning it off between uses will definitely save power. A sub with an Energy Star compliant amp will use very little power while you're not using it. As to exactly how much power your sub uses while in stand by mode, I think you'd need to ask the manufacturer (though someone with more knowledge on this subject might be able to give you a best guess, but we're not talking about the same kind of power a fridge in the garage will use).

-Robb

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
"Auto on" is the same as "Standby" on many electronics like VCRs TVs or Receivers,it uses very little power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks