Question about LCOS/DLP/LCD (alternatives to both CRT and RP)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Lowe, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

In my search for a TV I'd previously ruled out LCD right away, simply because the prices were far too high and I didn't find myself impressed with their performance. That seems to have greatly changed, based on what I saw yesterday in a Panasonic 40" LCD on display.

The fact that these TVs are also thinner, lighter and are less vulnerable (if not immune to) burn-in is what sells me on them. I do my share of gaming and I want to be able to watch NTSC broadcasts without fear of damaging the display over extended periods.

Who makes DLP/LCOS/DLP TVs that are affordable and of quality? It sounds like I can get the 45" Panasonic PT-45LC12 for around $3500. That's way on the high side of my budget (I am notorious for completely blowing my budgets, LOL) but if it's thin, light, durable and can be used for all forms of viewing that I like, then it's worth it. What about LCOS/DLP, though? I understand they're becoming much more affordable. Whatever I get, I would like the screen size to be at least 45", preferably up to 55".. Suggestions? It doesn't have to be anything that's out right now - but I don't think I will be able to keep myself from pulling the trigger on some kind of new TV for more than a couple of months at the most. I was literally about to submit my order on onecall for a 47" RPTV before I decided to hold off as this seems to be the time of year when the new models are emerging..

Sorry for the barrage of newbie questions..

2. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

If you're interested in DLP RPTV, Samsung is coming out later this year with light weight 40-50" DLP RPTV for $4000-4500.