What's new

Question about laptops (1 Viewer)

Jean Luc

Agent
i recently purchased my first laptop (Dell) and I really love it, it doesn't take up any space on my desk.
The thing i can't figure out is whether to keep the computer charging the whole time. When it is off, it is always plugged to the outlet. Is that a good thing to do? Should I use the battery more often? Should I alternate battery and power oultlet? Is it bad to have the computer always charging? I guess I just don't know what is bad for laptops. Any suggestions?
Thanks
JL

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Defintely run the battery up and down a couple of times a week, and when you will be at the desk for an extended period of time pull the battery out and store it elsewhere. :)

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
I have to agree. Don't leave it plugged in. Over time the battery wont hold a proper charge. (happened to my laptop and a few cellphones)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Modern lithium ion batteries shouldn't have any problems with being left connected to power, or just about anything you can do to 'em. They DO have a life expectancy though. My Powerbook G3 batteries are shot after 5 years of usage. But that's no big deal to me, replacement are cheap, and it spends most of it's time plugged in anyway. My Dell D600 spends time plugged in and unplugged, but I don't run down the battery and then recharge it or anything like that.

BTW, this should be posted in the computer forum.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Actually modern lithium batteries perform better when frequently topped off. Devices like my cell phone actually have a blurb in the manual along those lines.

in addition most of your lithium batteries have built in charge regulators to prevent overcharging and other problems.

Battery memory, which is the phenomenon where the battery starts losing a charge, is more common with ni-cad and ni-mh batteries due to crystalization.

you won't have any problems with the battery if you leave it plugged in 24/7.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks