What's new

Question about Klipsch RF-3's (1 Viewer)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
a group i am a part of is considering purchasing a pair of RF-3's and an H/K 320 as a gift. my question is if the 320 is powerful enough to make the RF-3's play without distortion. i know the formula for power vs dB increase and that the Klipsch's have a sensitivity of 98dB, but the room these will be in is pretty big with two open entrances. i'd say the room is 25x40 with 12' ceilings. listening position will be about 12' from the speakers. we dont need it to play at reference level or anything...just loud enough for people to hear.

we're kinda tight on cash but could possibly spring an extra $200-300 for a 2-ch amp if it's really needed. would an external amp be necessary for this situation?

ToddJoseph

Stunt Coordinator
These speakers can run on about 30 watts and still crack the paint off the walls...Since your not running at reference levels, your distortion if any will be minimal. I have them with a Denon 3300 (80 watts a channel fully driven, and at -10 they are extremely loud, clear, and efficient... I believe you can get Klipsch from Sound Distibutors on line for 500-600 dollars...Also may want to try Ebay..

I would highly recommend (if your questioning your receiver)
to spend a few extra bucks on your receiver. Your receiver is the heart and sould of your system. HK, Denon, Pioneer, even Sony would be good choices.. Good luck

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Unless you are looking for serious amounts of bass from the RF-3's, I think the HK 320 will be fine. However, that is just a guess. Any HK/Klipsch owners out there?

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I've heard that HK receivers aren't bright sounding so they might go very well with the Klipsch RF-3.

Also, the low power pairs with Klipsch again because the Klipsch are known for their higher than average sensitivity.

If you gave the RF-3s 80 watts of continuous power, that would estimate to about 95 decibels from 40 feet away with peaks over 100db. I'd say that's pretty decent considering that listening at 90db is considered quite loud by many.

It's just a guess but I think you'll be pleased with that combo if you like Klipsch sound.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
If you gave the RF-3s 80 watts of continuous power, that would estimate to about 95 decibels from 40 feet away with peaks over 100db. I'd say that's pretty decent considering that listening at 90db is considered quite loud by many.
but if i were only running them off the 55wpc from the H/K, would i be able to get a reasonable amount of SPL from them in this room?

Phil Mays

Second Unit
As good as any speaker, considering their effeciency.

If the HK is 55WPC I am assuming that you will only get about 40WPC of faily distortion free power. Perhaps you would want to consider an external amp.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
If the HK is 55WPC I am assuming that you will only get about 40WPC of faily distortion free power. Perhaps you would want to consider an external amp.
i understood that H/K was one of the few companies that actually rated their amps correctly. H/K amps will give you the power rating listed. that's why they are conservative in their power ratings.

JordanS

Second Unit
I have the RF-3 II ran off Adcom Seperates. GFP-565 Preamplifier and GFA 545 II Amplifier (100 x 2 at 4, 150 x 2 at 8).

It is so damn loud it isn't funny. It is really intense...

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
On my RF3II's, I played Pink Floyd's The Wall at full volume!! That's sitting only 4 feet away to....I only did it once:D

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I don't think you'll need more than the HK 320. Most people on Klipsch.com seem to prefer either Denon or HK with their Klipsch.

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
I've got rf-3s with an HK 500 and i've never had to use all of its power. Personally, I find the HK / Klipsch combo to be an excellent one. I think klipsch speakers can sound very "bright" with certain electronics (like denon). To me, HK is a "warm" sound, that matches the rf-3s perfectly. i would not worry about the power either, i think those 55 watts are backed by around 35 amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks