Question about Kevin Bacon commercial

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andres Munoz, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

I'm curious about this commercial. I think it's a Visa commercial where Kevin brings a whole bunch of different people and they have something in common with each other.

Total Movie Magazine also has a small section which I think it's called "six degrees of separation with Kevin Bacon" or something like that. It works the same way as the commercial in that they name some movie star that was with him in a movie and then another movie star that was in a movie with the first star and so on and so on.

Is this like a Hollywood inside joke or did Kevin make a movie like that or what's the deal?

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

It's a game people started playing on the internet about ten years ago - name an actor and find the shortest path to get to Kevin Bacon; the theory being that even for relatively obscure actors, it should be possible to do it in six links or less.
    Eventually, a book and a board game (at least!) came out from the guys who started it. As Bacon says in the introduction, you can really do it with anyone (in fact, the people at The Bacon Oracle have found 1100+ actors where the average path is shorter), but he likes having it be his game.

3. Andres Munoz

Why Kevin Bacon though? Were the guys that started the game friends of his or something?

BTW, Jason, thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

4. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

Why Kevin Bacon?

Mostly,
    1) His name kinda sounds like separation, ie, Six Degrees of. . .
    But also,
    2) He has had numerous small parts in diverse movies, making the game feasible.

5. Andres Munoz

Isn't that the name of a Will Smith movie? Six Degrees of Separation?

Is that related to the game in any way?

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

The basic idea is; there's a line in the play/movie that you can connect any two people with only five intermediaries, or "six degrees of seperation".
    And as to why Bacon, I don't know. It might just be that Footloose was on when they came up with the game. [​IMG]

7. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

Six Degrees of Separation was a movie with Will Smith, and the term refers to the hypothesis that all people presently on earth can be linked through six degrees of familial, structural, biological, or fraternal separation.

8. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

The Oracle of Bacon explains that Kevin Bacon isn't exactly the "Center of the Hollywood Universe", as Jason explained there are 1160 other actors who are more closely linked to all other actors than Kevin Bacon is. So who is at the "Center of the Hollywood Universe"? That distinction goes to Christopher Lee. But of course. He's been in hundreds of movies spanning seven decades, whereas Kevin Bacon's first movie was "Animal House".

9. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Will Smith was in "Six Degrees of Separation" which also starred Donald Sutherland whose son Keither Sutherland played in the movie "Flatliners" alongside Kevin Bacon.
    Okay, so it's only four degrees in this case. Give me a break! It's the first time I've ever played the game! [​IMG]

10. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

You're supposed to get it in 6 or less. 4 for Will Smith is good, but not good enough:

Will Smith --> "Legend of Bagger Vance" --> Charlize Theron
    Charlize Theron --> "Trapped" --> Kevin Bacon

That's 2.