Question about JVC XV-N55SL DVD Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Fredric, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Fredric

Fredric Stunt Coordinator

Just bought a JVC XV-N55SL DVD player today and was watching a selection of scenes from various DVDs in my collection. I think I have all the settings correct. I have a regular old boring Magnavox TV, with an S-Video connection. I notice that at times the image looks "shuttered" or jerky. This is especially noticeable when the camera sweeps across a landscape or something like that, like when Gandalf rides into Isengard. Very subtle little hiccups. Also noteicable when there are many people on the screen at once, the images looks "shuttered" like when you've increased the shutter speed on a camcorder to record sporting events, etc. This happens every few mintues, then everything looks normal. My old JVC doesn't do this, but it's not progressive scan. Would that have something to do with it? I have my PS turned off, since my TV is not HD. Did I get a bad player, should I return it? Do I just have a setting wrong?

Thanks.

2. JohnSterling

JohnSterling Stunt Coordinator

No....it's a known problem with the new JVC's. Do a search on the forum for more info.

I've got a N50BK and it does the same thing. Real bummer. Other than that...it's a great player.

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The symptom you describe has been reported on the forums by many people only with the newest JVC models (XV-N40BK,50BK,44SL,55SL) - it stutters on pans. Apparently it doesn't matter if its in interlaced mode (as you are using) or progressive mode. So it appears to be a design defect, swapping it for the same model won't help you.

4. Fredric

Thanks absolute bunches!

Any problems with the PIONEER DV563AS? That was the other one I was considering.

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

All the cheap models have some problems, they are just different ones. The only "perfect" models are now discontinued like the Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 models. I got a used XP30 on EBAY for $200 after trying a bunch of the new cheaper models because the newer models were so bad. I'm finally satisfied with the XP30!

6. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I've run into the problem with my new JVC. It usually happens if I have fast forwarded or "rewound" the DVD. It stops if I pause the DVD, turn the machine off then turn it back on. Stuttering goes away.

7. JohnSterling

JohnSterling Stunt Coordinator

I have (unfortunately) not had the same experience as you. The stuttering on my JVC occurs whether I've navigated around the DVD or not.

8. Everett A

Everett A Agent

I tried this player as well, and I also see the stuttering pans and even a distinct jerkiness in motion of almost anything on screen.

9. Fredric

Traded the JVC and $41 for the Pioneer yesterday. No more stutter and the picture is sharper. I can see film grain much better than before. Like being able to finally see the bugs swarming around Merry in the swamp scene.

French Connection II looks a little more raw and grainy. Me like.