What's new

Question about iTunes/AppleTV/4K (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Simple question, but I haven' been able to get a clear answer from searching.

I don't currently have 4K capability in any of my HT components. I'm thinking of adding an Apple TV 4K soon after the holidays, and over the next 18 months upgrading my receiver and my projector to 4K. My question is: if I buy 4K movies now on iTunes via my iPhone (which shows "4K") or the Apple TV, I'm assuming I'll be playing them via the Apple TV just in HD; then once I upgrade the associated gear to all 4K will those purchases automatically upgrade to 4K?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The titles you purchase in 4K will show as 4K in your library. The Apple TV will playback in HD until everything in your chain is 4K and HDCP 2.2 compliant. Then 4K titles will playback in 4K, as long as you have sufficient internet speed.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The titles you purchase in 4K will show as 4K in your library. The Apple TV will playback in HD until everything in your chain is 4K and HDCP 2.2 compliant. Then 4K titles will playback in 4K, as long as you have sufficient internet speed.

Thank you! With the sales I see on 4K titles on iTunes, I think getting an Apple TV is a good idea considering it can also do just about everything my old Roku can do.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Simple question, but I haven' been able to get a clear answer from searching.

I don't currently have 4K capability in any of my HT components. I'm thinking of adding an Apple TV 4K soon after the holidays, and over the next 18 months upgrading my receiver and my projector to 4K. My question is: if I buy 4K movies now on iTunes via my iPhone (which shows "4K") or the Apple TV, I'm assuming I'll be playing them via the Apple TV just in HD; then once I upgrade the associated gear to all 4K will those purchases automatically upgrade to 4K?
Yes. One of us. One of us. One of us.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's right!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thank you! With the sales I see on 4K titles on iTunes, I think getting an Apple TV is a good idea considering it can also do just about everything my old Roku can do.
I have both an Apple TV 4K and a Roku Ultra in my main system. I prefer to use the Apple for all my streaming, with the exception of Amazon Prime. The audio for some programs is restricted to 2 channels on the Apple while being 5.1 on the Roku.

The Apple’s main benefits for me over the Roku are the pricing of 4K films on iTunes (there are some great sales), the TCM app, Dolby Vision support, and a more stable platform.

The Roku’s advantages are a lower cost (the new 4K Premiere is only $40) and more available apps. In our case, Comcast has an Xfinity app for the Roku that allows me to use the device as a cable converter, saving $10 per month for each converter. I have three units doing this.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Do you folks get iTunes notifications via e-mail when they put titles on sale or do you just go to iTunes every day or two and check what's there? I never think to go there on the ATV 4K unless I read somewhere at HTF that something wonderful is on sale.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I have an old roku 2 that reboots just about everytime I use it.

Looking at these Apple tv devices.
Why would I buy one of these over one of the Roku 4K devices?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Do you folks get iTunes notifications via e-mail when they put titles on sale or do you just go to iTunes every day or two and check what's there? I never think to go there on the ATV 4K unless I read somewhere at HTF that something wonderful is on sale.
I use Blu-ray.com. Click on deals, select iTunes, then newest deals and it shows you all the most recent price changes. I check it multiple times a day.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cheapcharts app on iTunes.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
See Scott’s post two above yours.
Ok but the following comment has me wondering.

“The audio for some programs is restricted to 2 channels on the Apple while being 5.1 on the Roku.”

Atv offers only stereo for channels that are offered in 5.1 on roku?

From what I can gather Atv allows one to save movies onto the device while the roku does not?

Does the Netflix app on Atv offer Atmos?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ok but the following comment has me wondering.

“The audio for some programs is restricted to 2 channels on the Apple while being 5.1 on the Roku.”

Atv offers only stereo for channels that are offered in 5.1 on roku?

From what I can gather Atv allows one to save movies onto the device while the roku does not?

Does the Netflix app on Atv offer Atmos?
The two channel audio issue is strictly with the Amazon Prime app. I have not seen that with the other apps I use, such as Vudu. However, I cannot verify Netflix, as we do not subscribe to that service.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The two channel audio issue is strictly with the Amazon Prime app. I have not seen that with the other apps I use, such as Vudu. However, I cannot verify Netflix, as we do not subscribe to that service.
That was the case but Apple has since had a firmware upgrade that now supports full 5.1 and Atmos on the Amazon Prime app. The Jack Ryan series now plays in Atmos on my Apple TV.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That was the case but Apple has since had a firmware upgrade that now supports full 5.1 and Atmos on the Amazon Prime app. The Jack Ryan series now plays in Atmos on my Apple TV.
That’s correct, Amazon Prime on iTunes does support 5.1 and Dolby Atmos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks