What's new

Question about ISF'ing and my DVD player (1 Viewer)

Kevin_W

Second Unit
There is a possibility that I will be getting my TV ISF'd. The dvd player that I have isn't the one I will have for a whole lot longer. What impact does changing the DVD player *after* the ISF have on the picture? Will the greyscale be off if I change out the player afterwards?

Also, the player I have isn't progressive. Since I plan to have a prog scan, should I have it at the time of ISF?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

There are difference between players ... probably up to 500K difference.

There are bigger differences between 480i and 480p in terms of brightness/ colour/tint/etc ...

Best to just wait ... unless the guy is willing to come back and touch it up for free or a modest fee.

Regards

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Best to just wait ...
Just to clarify, better to wait on the ISF until I have the progressive scan player I want? The 500k color temp you estimated... thats for most any (progressive and non) dvd player right?

Thanks for the help,

Kevin

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I don't use a DVD player at all since my Sencore pattern generator handles all resolutions. As Michael said, there can be differences between DVD players, so althought the Sencore would be more accurate, it may not perfectly match the output of your DVD player.

Since you'll probably go through a few DVD players and other input devices over the life of your TV though, I don't see this as a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks