Question about ISF calibration and video switching

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Plucker, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    Howdy!
    I have a question regarding my TW40X81 and its two component inputs. Right now I have my DVD player and a HD cable box connected directly, one to each input. I had my TW40X81 ISF calibrated a few years back before I had a HD signal.
    Is the calibration specific to the signal coming in, the componet input, or both? I want to get a receiver or a pre/pro that has component video switching and maybe signal upconversion(among other things). But I am concerned that if I am switching between an HD signal and a DVD signal that the calibration would be specific to one type of signal coming in on the input I would have it hooked to. Can the TV be calibrated for a 480P signal and a 1080i signal on the same component input?
    Did that make sense? [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Keith

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    HI

Yes you're making sense ( I think :) )

Your TV has one of 2 options, colorstream one and colorstream two, being assignable as DVD or DTV. Or depending on model, it is not assignable but is assigned via the jacks on the back, one is DTV and the other is DVD.

If it is the latter, you are somewhat hosed when trying to have both sources calibrated when switching between the two. If it is the first option, you will have to manually select DVD or DTV via the remote to have a input specific calibration.

Please also remember that ISF calibration is greatly varied as to the service that is provided. There is a good chance that your HD signal is "way off" depending on how the original calibration was done. You will have to judge...how does your HD signal look now?

Regards

Gregg

3. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    The colorstream inputs can be set to DTV or DVD via the remote (I just checked). However, it might be easier just to switch colorstream inputs.

I believe my set does need a little ISF TLC. Both to correct for drift that has occurred over the last few years and to properly set up the set for HDTV.

I see you will have some tours coming up where you might be in my area (LA). I will send you an email to inquire about having you do some work.

Thanks,
    Keith

4. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

On your set (the same one I own) you can calibrate both 1080i and 480p seperately depending on input coming in -- but only from the design menu, AND there are no seperate greyscale offsets for each of these. You can also calibrate theater for one and then use the memory mode with a different grey-scale if necessary (but they are generally pretty close, or so I'm told... and my eyes seem to agree...)

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Just to clarify what Bill said, 480i, 480p, and 1080i are all calibrated seperately and it doesn't matter what physical input they come in on.

The DVD/DTV setting only works for 480p input and does nothing otherwise (480p being the only ambiguous resolution).