What's new

Question about Indiana Jones on VHS (1 Viewer)

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
I decided to rent the original in full screen and with a non remastered soundtrack. Big mistake. The picture is really fuzzy, the wonderful soundtrack is in Mono,:thumbsdown: and of course, its full screen or Pan and scan. My question is, should I go out and buy is in a THX digialy remastered soundtrack with the OAR of @:35 or should I wait 3-6 years for the DVD to come out.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I am personally waiting for the DVD. Word on the street is that Raiders is not that far off from being released, certainly sooner than three years from now. Hopefully, someone else here can offer something more specific.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I have the widescreen THX remastered Raiders on VHS and it looks and sounds as good as it gets (on VHS, of course). It's a huge improvement over the original pan and scan version I have that I bought years ago. Since I don't want to shell out the cash for an LD player, nor wait years for this to be released on DVD, this is the best it gets for me.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Do you think they would release the trilogy individually or as a box set?

DanR

Supporting Actor
The latest rumors place the Indiana Jones trilogy being released to DVD one per year, starting with Raiders later this year. Again, this is completely rumor at this point.

Some of us who have been around for a long time know not to put too much stock in rumors. I certainly am not planning on this happening. I mean, how many times have BTTF and Raiders been rumored? And we still have nothing.

Regards,

Dan

greg_t

Screenwriter
Ryan,

the OAR of Raiders is 2.35. The Pan and Scan is 1.33. You are losing alot of information and detail with the Pan and scan. I have the Thx pan and scan VHS and recently got the Raiders LD, which is of course OAR. The difference between the two is amazing. It's just such a better movie in widescreen. The thing that I notice with the widescreen, other than gaining the full image, is how un-naturally close the pan and scan gets you to the charecters. The quality of the VHS isn't really bad, it's just the Pan and scan that ruins it. If you don't have a LD player and can't wait for the dvd's, I believe best buy carries the Indy movies in the thx widescreen vhs. Again, the video and sound quality of the vhs isn't that bad, just make sure you go for OAR!

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
I rented the 1994 rental edition from blockbuster and it is extremlly blurry. Do you know if the widescreen VHS has thaose annoying little white dotsand what is the retail for it since I don't live within 45 min of a best buy.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Well, my pan and scan version is from 1999. also, you 1994 version you rented had probably been watched 1000 times and is about to dissentigrate. the 1999 thx widescreen should be far better than what you rented. As for price, get on best buys website and do some research.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I also have the widescreen VHS box set, and if you need widescreen Indy PRONTO, this is as good as it gets.

And I don't care what you all say about Temple of Doom, it may not have been the best, but it had it's moments...which in "Nate Speak" means: "It wasn't a classic, but it was pretty damn cool. Too many bugs though. Ughhh... Bugs. Why did it have to be bugs?"

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
This my last one of the night but best buy does not sell VHS on the internet. What other web sights are there that just sell VHS

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Ryan,
Just wait for the discs man. They'll be here before you know it.
I don't understand why anyone would want to drop $40+ on three tapes that will be replaced soon enough. I guess if you plan on watching them each often it may be worth it, but in my opinion, there are plenty of great films out there to pass the time on.
-Chad

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I have a suspicion these won't be on DVD until 6-12 months before Indy 4 hits the theaters. This will be a way for them to "revive" and promote Indiana Jones. This will be a way for them to build up the next movie. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm just being realistic. And, please, don't use the rumors as evidence that this will be coming out soon. The rumors have been wrong for years on this title. Indy and Back to the Future would have been out a few years ago if the rumors were true.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
My fear for this trilogy is that they will release them in reverse order starting with The Last Crusade. That would probably make more sense for Paramount I am guessing because the older movies will undoubtedly need more work, restoration and supplemental work. I really want to see Raiders Of The Lost Arc this year though.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Honestly, I just want the original not any of the sequels, since all Sequels are bad!!! Please note: I have not seen any of the sequels

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Honestly, I just want the original not any of the sequels, since all Sequels are bad!!! Please note: I have not seen any of the sequels
Duly noted! Your assessment of the sequels based on a gross generalization has been placed in proper context and ignored despite the use of three exclamation points.

The most recent widescreen VHS is as good as widescreen VHS gets and should be available for less than $15.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks