Question about in-wall speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ToddP, Nov 20, 2003.

1. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

I have no experience with in-wall speakers. A friend is looking to get some in-wall speakers, and is looking for some suggestions. He's looking to keep it under $250 for the pair. Any recommendations and personal experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Without having any specifics, generally they are not so great for the main front speakers (especially in that price range). They have very poor imaging and awful-sounding bass, because of they cause the drywall to resonate. From a performance respective, using the speaker of your choice as a baseline, it'll take twice the money for an in-wall to match its performance.

In-walls work well for the rear speakers, though.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, I should have specified. The in-walls will be used for his rear speakers.

4. MichaelBarletta

I'm using Sonance 622t for my main L&R and rear surrounds but they ran me $380 a pair. I wired before I sheetrocked and went with 5/8" board and glued it to the studs, then used a ton of 2" drywall screws. Check out their site sonance.com. They also have an awesome line of speakers in a lower price range. Hope this helps. Mike.