Question about Hughes E86 and Samsung TS160

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tom Ruff, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Tom Ruff

Tom Ruff Auditioning

Ok, just got my Mit's 55313 HDTV and tomorrow DirecTV will be out to set up my satellite. I bought the Hughes E 86 HD receiver for the Mits not knowing that the TV had a DVI connection. (no one could tell me what was on the TV, its not even listed in the main sight for Mitubishi. Once I got the tv in today I was surprised to find out that in fact it did have that type of connection. A few of the questions that I have are relating to weather I should return the Hughes and get the Samsung as it does have a dvi connection.

After reading more about the two receivers I am finding out that the Samsung can receive bot HD and SD at the same time. Is this ma major thing? What makes this better then the Hughes? Would I have to switch something everytime I go to a HD channel with the Hughes receiver?

Next question is how do I receive a HD signal of over the air channels. People are telling me that I can not get CBS, ABC, NBC, or Fox in HD because DirecTV does not send those channels in HD. They tell me that I can receive OTA signals with my Hughes receiver, but what do I need to add so that I can get these channels to work?

That is all that I can think of right now to ask, but rest assured that in a few hours I will come up with even more questions to pester you all with. I am reading as many threads as I can tyying to learn about HDTV, but most do not seem to relate to the issues that I have. Argh!

Thanks in advance for any help that you may provide me.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The Hughes box will only output 1080i via component video cables. This will either be native 1080i if your tuned to an HD channel in that format, 720p converted to 1080i if that's what the HD broadcast is (ABC and ESPNHD)--looks very good. If you tune to a 480i over the air channel or a non-hd digital channel (either Over the Air or satellite) it will upconvert the 480i to 1080i for the component outputs (kinda soft looking).

Alternatively it can output 480i via S-video or composite video, either natively from 480i channels or a downconvert from HD channels (dvd quality for the latter).

Since the 1080i upconvert of 480i stuff is kinda ugly, the best thing to do with this box is connect both component and S-video to the set, and switch output modes on the box and inputs on the tv when switching from HD to SD.

It will not output 480i via S-video and 1080i via component at the same time, you have to do a 2 button chicken dance with the remote to switch modes and outputs.

You will not get locals in HD off the satellite, but the box does have a terrestrial digital tv tuner to get them off an antenna. It also has a standard NTSC tuner to receive local non-digital stations over the air. The box will integrate all local and satellite channels into the same guide.

So to get local HD you will need to add a suitable tv antenna.

I am not that familiar with the Samsung box, maybe do a search over at AVS Forum on it's features. I do know it is more versatile than the Hughes box, being a generation or so newer and a couple of hundred bucks more expensive.

The Hughes box can be had at CC right now for $399 after a $100 mail-in rebate, the Samsung typically sells for $599.

The Hughes box requires plenty of ventilation as it runs hot and if not very well ventilated will start to act up.

I've had the Toshiba DST-3000, a Hughes mfd box identical to the E-86 for almost 2 years and it's been great for satellite HD, and pretty good for local HD. The switching back and forth between output modes and inputs on the tv in order to get the best non-HD pic is a pain. The remote sensor is bad on it right now, and DirecTV is sending me a replacement box (they don't specify what brand) under a $6 a month service contract I had with them. The E-86 has an IF remote instead of IR, so this should not be an issue for you if you decide to go with the E-86.

3. Tom Ruff

Tom Ruff Auditioning

Wow, thanks for all the info. You helped me understand alot of stuff in a short time. [​IMG]

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

In addition to Steve’s great comments, the advantage that many find of receivers being able to output HD and SD at the same time is that it is easier to watch and tape (or PVR) a show. With boxes like the Hughes you really can’t watch in HD and tape at the same time. With ones that output both at the same time, you can.

FWIW, the Sony 300 just about to be released is supposed to output 1080i and 480i at the same time.