What's new

Question about how speaker stands work... (1 Viewer)

tom_furman

Stunt Coordinator
no this isnt about acoustics, etc..i need to know how they work!
more precisely...i'm tired of looking for stands that are tall enough for my 16lb 8 x 10 bookshelf surround speakers, all the ones i can find are either too short, or when they are tall enough they cant hold my size speakers!
soo...seeing as though i'm a draftsman in a steel fab shop i'll have the guys downstairs fabricate me a set. but what i need to know from you guys is..
how do the stands i see online "hide" the wire...is there just a hole in top of one of the support tubes and then a hole at the the bottom?
and how are the stands fillable with sand? does the top plate come off so i can just pour sand down?
also how long are the spikes at the bottom? 1/2"? 3/4"?
any pics would be greatly appreciated..thanks, tom
[Edited last by tom_furman on July 30, 2001 at 09:51 AM]

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm no stand expert, but for most of the stands i've seen:
1. the wire is usually either hidden inside the post. a hole is drilled on the top and bottom plate. you can then channel the wire through the top, inside the post, and out the bottom. some stands also have a small tube at the back of the post that you can route the wire thorugh.
2. the stands usually have a removable top plate. this allows you to pour the sand or lead shot into the post.
3. i'm not sure about the spike length. most of them are adjustable, using a theaded shaft at the end of the spike.
hope this helps...
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Eric S

Agent
The top plate on my stands bolts down into a threaded hold in the center of each of the three pipes. There is also another hole in the top of each pipe to allow for filling. Thus, the "end cap" of each vertical pipe is a circle with a threaded hole in the center for the bolt and an off center hole for filling. The circle "end cap" is then welded into the end of the pipe, slighly recessed for clearance. I run my wires on the outside of the stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks